Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Cold Blue

Hey guys - just bought a new sending unit for my 48 Plymouth. Its a 2 wire sender, for the original gauge. Which way does the float go in the tank? Towards the front, the back, or side to side?  Anybody know?  I would think sideways, but I am guessing. And another question - it has two wires, which connect to the terminals on the sender, then to the terminals labeled "1" and "2" on the back of the gauge. The third terminal on the gauge is for power. How is the signal sent from the sender to the gauge if it doesn't have any power in the two wires from the sender??? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure on my 41 the float was towards the left side of the car but its been awhile. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. The two wires at the sender are a path to ground. There is varying resistance on each circuit with the position of the float arm. That in turn actually heats metal strips in the gauge that moves the needle.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies. But does anyone know about how to hook up a 2 wire sender when the terminals are not labeled? I am thinking this - install the sender with the float towards the filler hose. That will position the terminals to the rear and front of the car. Run one wire to the rearmost terminal to the post on the gauge labeled 2, on the driver's side. Run the other wire to the post labeled 1, on the passenger side. That wires the gauge so that the wires run parallel, if that makes any sense.....

Hey Cold Blue,

Connect the wires before putting the sender in the tank. Put the float to down or empty and check the gage. If it reads other than empty reverse the wires and check again. Or put the float to full and check. Either way it is an easy fix. Then mark the terminals on the sender put it in the tank and hook it up.

Joe Lee

47 minutes ago, soth122003 said:

Hey Cold Blue,

Connect the wires before putting the sender in the tank. Put the float to down or empty and check the gage. If it reads other than empty reverse the wires and check again. Or put the float to full and check. Either way it is an easy fix. Then mark the terminals on the sender put it in the tank and hook it up.

Joe Lee

Thanks Soth!! Yep, that would be an easy way to check the gauge reading to make sure you've got her hooked up right.  Thanks so much!!

5 hours ago, soth122003 said:

Hey Cold Blue,

Joe Lee

When you do this be sure to run a ground wire to sender flange . Also your sender probably will go in the tank only in one position as the holes  are not symetrical. 

9 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

When you do this be sure to run a ground wire to sender flange . Also your sender probably will go in the tank only in one position as the holes  are not symetrical. 

Will do. Thank you!

10 hours ago, woodrow said:

hey. just curious where you bought your guage setup.  mine is busted from the previous owner.  

I got my sender unit from MoparPro off Ebay. They had a "best offer" tab, and I gave them a much lower offer, and they accepted it. Looks like a nice unit, brand new, (repro of course). Haven't installed it yet. Gotta run a new wire from the gauge to the sender, as my car had a single wire aftermarket temporary gauge on it. My dash gauge looks fine, and I hope it works!!!