What did I buy?

k72nova

Hello everyone! I’m new here and happened to get lucky the other day, my neighbor needed to get rid of a Plymouth and I happened to be the person who got it from him, problem is I’m not 100% sure what year it is. The guy I got the car from purchased an estate years ago and this car was part of the estate, no title. He said he thinks it’s either a 49 or 50 but I want to be sure before I start parts shopping. After looking around at pictures, I’m thinking I’s a 49, but again I’m not sure. Any info on where I can find out, or if anyone can tell just by the pictures, I’s appreciate the info!

BSKaFWGl.jpg

3hi3xyrl.jpg

l7J7sm5l.jpg

yjNGB5kl.jpg

Il3CSDJl.jpg

• Like 1

Suggest you air up the tires before doing anything else. If you don't have an air compressor buy one as you will need it later. As mentioned clear up the title. Where are you located? What parts do you think you need? Many things are available at NAPA or any good parts store.

• Haha 1

Ribbed 49 bumpers and 49 tailights.

Looks like a good project.

Good luck and keep posting your progress updates.

Yes just buy a compressor and air up tires...lol

Unless you already have a compressor...lol

• Thanks 1

Great, thanks for the info! I'm pretty excited about the project, not too sure which direction we'll go just yet but I'll be upgrading to front disc brakes, replacing suspension, installing a fuel tank, replacing brake lines, and trying to get it started. The guy I got the car from said he had it running 5 years ago so maybe I can get it going again.

I MIGHT go as far as tossing an LS engine in it, with a modern transmission, and ford 9", that all depends on how far I feel like taking this. Really it's a project that my wife wanted so I'll let her be the deciding factor on which direction we take this.

I agree that before anything I'll get the title sorted out, my neighbor is trying to get in touch with the original owners son that he bought the estate from, if that doesn't work out, I'm in Utah and from what I understand it's not too difficult to get a new title in this scenario.. I had to do it once about a decade ago and hope the process hasn't changed too much.

I aired up the tires before winching it onto the trailer, so far they're all holding air other than the front left. Not sure if that's the tire or maybe the rim but I'll dig into that.

Welcome, you have a nice project there. These are pretty simple cars to work on. The ribbed bumpers were at one time very popular with the customizer crowd. Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Front drive door post should have a serial number. That will tell you exactly what it is, about when in the production year it was built and what factory it was assembled in. If you want more information, that number is also what the Chrysler Historical Collection will need to dig up the original "build card".