Brightness of Dashlights on '41 Dodge

'41 Fat Bottom Girl

Hi all, I am curious about anyone's comments or suggestions on the illumination level of the bulbs on my '41 Dodge speedometer and gauges.

Bulbs are very bright when sockets are removed from the holes and the socket side grounded to the metal enclosures adjacent to the holes, but when installed inside the speedo and gauges, they are very dim when driving at night. Is it possible that reflective metal surfaces inside the speedometer and gauge housings might have rusted or oxidized? Any other thoughts or how to improve it? Again, bulbs light up nice and bright when pulled out...

Thanx much! 

Some of the speedometers and gauges have a piece of semi-clear plastic wound around the opening for the bulb . The plastic does turn more milky over time and you might be able to just remove the plastic with tweezers . Others have found brighter bulbs . 

Welcome to the forum Fat Bottom. It depend's on if your car is still 6 volt. My P15's have a small toggle under the dash to the right of the wheel for dash light dimming. With 6 volt you use #51's. If your's has been changed to 12 volt. There is a chart in downloads at the top of the page, in most downloaded, scroll to the right, there it is. I've seen different wattage bulbs in 12 volt miniature bulbs, but I don't know if they will fit the dash. Post a picture of your car.

Thanx all for your thoughts on this. My fat bottom is still a 6 volt system, original flattie, and years back I rewired the entire car, and all is good except for the dash lights illumination. No change in their brightness with head lights on or off, no difference car running or off, and no resistance or voltage drops found across the toggle switch or at other points. I will check the bulbs. Present instrument bulb is a 55SM3 (BA9S base) and speedo bulb is a 63 SK5 (BA15S base). I have ordered some bright LED 6 volt for both and will see if that changes anything. If not, I will open up the housings and repaint the interior surfaces. Great info, guys!

2077897116_41Dodge.JPG.fbe67aa1d5fc1391c4892267662bc181.JPG