Is it a radiator, or a wall hanger?

Guy advertised this for $50, claims there is no leaks. I dunno not time to check it yet.

The size is almost perfect for a pilothouse, just a little shorter then OEM, has brackets on the side to accept carriage bolts to slide in, will be a breeze to mount it.

It looks bad as is, the fins are black and full of dust, hoping it cleans up well, and then some time to straighten the fins .... for a daily driver, looks great with the hood closed. :D

Will have to post a couple pics with it cleaned up and installed.

The craftsmanship on it is awesome, there is a brass tag on the front with the builders name,  a radiator shop in Louisiana.

There is a small patch on the lower left, where the original drain was placed, they moved it to the lower right on the other side.

Oh well, if it turns out to be junk, polish it up and hang it on the wall.IMG_20190411_094429637.jpg.92ba4a9f3e40897539270297c6c1c07c.jpg

I was poking a lil fun on Radaronwheels the other day, his drive and energy is incredible. I told him I picked up a radiator and was a full day for me.

I got up at 5:00 am and drove 1.5 hours to pick it up, before the guy went to work, 3 hours round trip.

Then got back to my plumbing issue at hand. I dug by hand and replaced 70' of sewer drain line, currently have the bathroom floor removed and digging a crawl space to get access and replace the rest of the plumbing.

While I got the 70' ditch open, am filling it up with the dirt from under the house. Next time I have a plumbing issue I wont need to cut open the floor to work on it.

IMG_20190411_094450658_HDR.jpg.ef19c322282f60d849ed9fec47cdcec3.jpg.

It appears that the fan blades impacted the core...if that's the case I'd bet that the tubes have been compromised too.

I am generally not a fan of aluminum parts in cooling systems because it is more susceptible to corrosion from electrolysis, and can't be fixed like copper/brass radiators.

• Like 1

aluminum has been in the cooling systems for literally decades.....also you will find it in hydraulic systems...while it may not be our first choice it is a proven metal for these applications. water pumps and such are replacement items and usually fail due to an internal seal failure long before any failure to electrolysis.  Todays cars all the radiators are epoxy sealed tubes to the tank header and crimper to a plastic tank with rubber seal.  These last a long time, often the very coolant is the failure and resultant reason for plugged systems.  The early environmental friendly coolant would actually coagulate into streamers of a poly rosin that is the effective material causing the blockage....IF you are running the early coolant yet...odds are a radiator change is in your future.  BUT for the most parts these radiators are inexpensive.

15 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

It appears that the fan blades impacted the core..

this is true, but the depth is less then 1/8" maybe less then a 1/16", I think was a flex fan on it and at high rpm it may have flexed.

The only concern I have with them is the time involved to straighten them .... and if I think is worth it. ... would increase airflow.

The guy had it in a 56 chevy pickup, he pulled it to work on the motor, then sold the truck. Just a used radiator.

My current original radiator will give me a shower every time I goose the throttle. I am hoping this will be a improvement.

Should get me on the road anyways, then replace as needed in future.

Looks like a nice piece! You got me on all that digging my hands are soft like a baby haha

I would pressure check it before doing any more work on it, and again after the dirt is all out of the crannies. The champion aluminum rad I have was installed in front of my 230 and worked great even with no shroud and seems capable of cooling the big block with a shroud. Good luck with it and thanks for the kind words

For some reason I liked the looks, it seems old school to me. With the curved top and the neck for the cap. Lot of effort went into the cap, Is a skin that goes over a off the shelf cap.

A new aluminum radiator I guess ~ $350-$450, I wonder what it might cost to have this one re-cored?

Either way, this one if it does not leak now, may get me around for a year or so while I shake out the bugs.

I always thought buying this house would be good physical therapy for me to regain my health, is proving to be effective.

I have all the old cast iron plumbing removed from under the house, was nice it crumbled into pieces for easy removal  :D

Today I cut and broke 16' of concrete, and exposed the last bit of old pipe  (patio).... tomorrow can finish new plumbing under house and connect to the new line already installed.

• Like 1