Paint colours

Mel

I have a 1938 Dodge D10 (Cdn built) that is needing a paint refresh.  I want to keep it at the original colour and already have the paint code and colour.  It is Paint Code 1507 - Riviera Blue (C.I.L. Code 246-8456; Sherwin Williams code L-4705).  I understand this was a Canada only colour.  Where do I go to find the equivalent colour in today’s world?   I contacted the mfg and was told they destroyed the formulae a number of years ago when they were doing some house cleaning.  Any tips??  Thanks 

You might try going to a local automotive paint supplier and if there is an unfaded spot on the paint be able to computer match the color. There is a shop not too far from me that will do that and if you want even put it in a rattle can for small repairs. Not cheap though.  But I understand paint prices have really climbed since I used to paint cars so...

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

If you can send a small piece of the paint that you need to these folks, they should be able to match it perfectly. I did this for my '67 Plymouth Fury and the match was excellent. I was replacing a small piece of panel so I sent a post card sized piece that I cut out for this paint sample. Good luck.

John R

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

Any good auto paint shop should be able to mix paint based on the original code, regardless if the original paint maker can.  Paints themselves are different now, so the tone may still be off a hair.  I know some NAPA stores can do it, too, that's where I had the last batch done for one of my paint jobs.  Many shops have the equipment needed to analyze paint for proper formulas, too.   

2 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Any good auto paint shop should be able to mix paint based on the original code, regardless if the original paint maker can.  Paints themselves are different now, so the tone may still be off a hair.  I know some NAPA stores can do it, too, that's where I had the last batch done for one of my paint jobs.  Many shops have the equipment needed to analyze paint for proper formulas, too.   

to this end, you will get close.....based on the advancements of solids and rosins....there is no way any company can say 100% match....they will all say match which is by all account close enough...which is what you are truly getting.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The link to the auto colour library seems promising.   I will try to find a section of original paint that isn’t buried under a few other coats.  It’s a bit of a chore, but fun.

cheers