230 in a B1B

I have finally completed the disassembly of my B1B with the frame off to the media blaster this week. Now it is time to focus on the engine. 

The 218 that came out is locked up solid. I have done everything to free it up with no luck. I do have a line on a recently rebuilt 230 and rebuilt transmission. The problem is it is a fluid drive and will not fit in the B1B. So my question is will the bell housing and clutch from the 218 fit on the 230 and will the tranny from the 230 bolt to the 218 bell housing. It looks like everything lines up but I thought I would reach out to the forum to see if anyone has been down this road. 

Thanks. 

On 4/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, LMBoise said:

I have finally completed the disassembly of my B1B with the frame off to the media blaster this week. Now it is time to focus on the engine. 

The 218 that came out is locked up solid. I have done everything to free it up with no luck. I do have a line on a recently rebuilt 230 and rebuilt transmission. The problem is it is a fluid drive and will not fit in the B1B. So my question is will the bell housing and clutch from the 218 fit on the 230 and will the tranny from the 230 bolt to the 218 bell housing. It looks like everything lines up but I thought I would reach out to the forum to see if anyone has been down this road. 

Thanks. 

It will all bolt up. You just need to watch the flywheel spacing. You might need to source a different flywheel from a 230. 

15 minutes ago, LMBoise said:

So if I understand the responses, the bolt pattern on the 230 crank will not allow me to use the 218 flywheel. If I can source a 230 flywheel, the bellhousing from the 218 should fit as will the 230 tranny. 

Is is that correct?

The issue is the crankshaft flange on the 230 is different than the flange on the 218 crankshaft. The 218 flywheel will bolt up to the 230 crankshaft but the starter gear will not mesh up to the flywheel ring gear. This is how I fixed this problem.

Bell-starter_1.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LMBoise said:

Very creative Don. Do you know how much you milled off the bell housing? I do not have the equipment to do that, but have a great machine shop close by. 

Thanks to all for the feedback, very helpful!  

Suggest you take your own measurements as my install may be different than yours. I have a Desoto engine, Plymouth bell housing and flywheel. 

10 hours ago, LMBoise said:

Very creative Don. Do you know how much you milled off the bell housing? I do not have the equipment to do that, but have a great machine shop close by. 

Thanks to all for the feedback, very helpful!  

Best bet is to ask him the name of his machinist or friend who did the job for him.

Dont think he milled his bellhousing in his garage.

Didn't Don C. do that with his router and a carbide bit.?? ?

DJ

9 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Best bet is to ask him the name of his machinist or friend who did the job for him.

Dont think he milled his bellhousing in his garage.

Correct I had a machine shop do the work but I first did the measuring and told the machinist what to do. 

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Correct I had a machine shop do the work but I first did the measuring and told the machinist what to do. 

Of course you did. Should I have thought otherwise.

Now what did you tell the auto electric shop is my question?

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo said:

Of course you did. Should I have thought otherwise.

Now what did you tell the auto electric shop is my question?

What does this have to do with someone swapping a 218 for a 230?