1956 Plymouth Dog Dish Hubcap Question

Shaneyk88

I purchased this set of hubcaps today at a swap meet. They are the same design as ones I have seen on eBay and other internet sites being advertised for 55-56 Plymouth’s.  These however are smaller in diameter than the others. Are there different rim options for 55 and 56 Plymouth’s? What do I have, if not Plymouth.

615C3F5D-2352-4B56-8378-671EE0B08A2B.jpeg

not that familiar with the 1955 year....however if as per past models the hubcaps were available in 9 or 10 inch, the 10 inch were to cover and help hold in place the outer rings to simulate a full dish hubcap.  The opening for both the 9 and 10 inch caps are the same so either will fit your rim...again, usually the larger cap was on the higher optioned cars with outer trim rings.

Those 'boatless' '51-'52 caps were used well into the sixties on Plymouth police cars and taxicabs.   I remember seeing  them on '67 and '68 Fury squad cars.

Here's a couple of pictures I got online.  Not the clearest but you get the idea.

531241.jpg

531251.jpg

Edited by JerseyHarold
added picture

The caps in your picture are designed for earlier wheels that had clips.  They are very similar externally to my 55 caps, but mine do not have the inner ring and are designed to fit over the "nubs" of later wheels.  This picture is from 64 caps, but they attach and look similar to my 55 caps.

64 caps.jpg

elusive.jpg

Edited by gwaggonercpa

the caps in post one are as stated, 1955 Plymouth caps...you can view pictures of these on e-bay listings and various photos found by your web browser on an inquiry

these quoted below are not even close in looks or design as they are neither domed no have multi pressed rings, their similarity stops at the descriptor, hubcap....

19 minutes ago, gwaggonercpa said:

The caps in your picture are designed for earlier wheels that had clips.  They are very similar externally to my 55 caps, but mine do not have the inner ring and are designed to fit over the "nubs" of later wheels.  This picture is from 64 caps, but they attach and look similar to my 55 caps.

64 caps.jpg

I said they were pictures of 64 caps.  I used the picture to illustrate the what the back side of my 55 caps look like since I had no pictures of them.  I edited my post to include a picture of my 55, bought from the 2nd owner with the wheels and caps that came to me on the car.  My caps came to me on a 1955 Plymouth, are domed, have multi-pressed rings but are not designed for clips (hence the similarity to the caps in my original picture).  

If I am mistaken, please forgive me for being......human and attempting to post an answer why the gentleman's caps wouldn't fit his wheels.  I won't make the same mistake again.  Back to lurking for me.

10 minutes ago, gwaggonercpa said:

I said they were pictures of 64 caps.  I used the picture to illustrate the what the back side of my 55 caps look like since I had no pictures of them.  I edited my post to include a picture of my 55, bought from the 2nd owner with the wheels and caps that came to me on the car.  My caps came to me on a 1955 Plymouth, are domed, have multi-pressed rings but are not designed for clips (hence the similarity to the caps in my original picture).  

If I am mistaken, please forgive me for being......human and attempting to post an answer why the gentleman's caps wouldn't fit his wheels.  I won't make the same mistake again.  Back to lurking for me.

yes you stated they were 64 caps but you also said they looked similar....they did not in just about every aspect...in that respect the ones I have here with Fratzogs stamped it would look the same...sorry, I cannot see where they anywhere close to the same.....Ed was better as saying similar to a 52 without the ship emblem...probably a feature lost due to die/stamping costs.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

this listing is not anywhere near complete and not meant as such but is an example of the fact that many cars in the era utilized the same bolt pattern wheels....I have no data on the hubcap registers sizes they used...

Kaizer-Frazer

Studebaker

International

Mopar

Ford

AMC

Volvo

If you could picture the wheels or perhaps measure the cap register, you may be able to determine more about your vehicle's wheels.....as with many folks buying an older car, things get changed down the years with no documentation following....this often put many in a tight spot to identify and greatly increases that learning curve and often strains your brain...

Hello. My wheels are definitely 100 original. The poverty caps on the Plymouth above are the same in design as mine, but definitely larger in diameter and meant to go over the nubs. The ones I purchased are not as domed and have the interior lip.

By searching it appears mopar first rendition of a wheel with outer nubs was 1957....they did use a special wheel 53-56 without inner clips thought the clip holes are there and this was due to the installment of Cello wire wheel basket caps...and again the later without register clips had holes for clip even then.....you picture the 9 inch cap...I as stated earlier, I am not sure the trend continued to the introduction of the nub wheel in 1957 the fact lower class has 9's and the deluxe models would be 10's as you basically had the dog dish or the full dish....this could well be answered by going to the forward look website as this model should fall into their field of expertise....further....any cap I have seen that is not full dish is not anywhere like the 55 shown...in 1956 it appears the rings are inverted and the very center then again goes into a dome...as you  have not pictured the wheel....and you post a cap which MUST use inner clips....if your wheels do not have inner clips, regardless of outer physical diameter...they just not going to mount...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

you got quite the show going on....per all photos of all cars Mopar I have seen for 1956....they have no outer dogs but have inner clip holes but not every site is accurate..but every site so far established this by looking....full dish by explanation of those supposedly in the know state that clips were not installed on full dish wheel options at that era of manufacturing.....the wheel you show look more like a later wheel second, you also do not have the smaller alignment hole on that rim for any retrofit of a set of inner retainer clips.   Further, over the years those outer dogging nubs are different sizes also....establish first you nub pattern then buy the caps that suit your fancy....while I can find frontal views closeup of the 56 cap, it does not show the back side, so if indeed they do register to the nubs.....the one you pictured are not 56 but 55......

ok we have an update...and I think we have the answers...all of them......

gwaggoneercpa and I have exchanged a few PM's...he found a super small avatar size picture of the 56 hubcap as viewed from the backside....and as you can see in the pics of his car they have sunken rings.  The 56 caps DO snap on and I admit I overlooked the very small height of the nub as I am so familiar with the thicker nubs, so the taper edges are deep enough to lock.  So you need actual 56 Plymouth poverty caps.  The 55 for all the stated reason before just will not work on your wheel.   It is disappointing that sellers list multiple year applications in error but we do see this all the time.    This is very odd that this wheels looks all in all a single year application as the Plymouth went 14's in 57.  My newest car after 1954 is a 61 Dodge and they have very prominent nubs.....hope you can find a set of 56's.    

• 2 months later...