Modernizing my '48 plymouth help!

48PLYDELUX

I'm new to the group and very inexperienced. I have a1948 plymouth special deluxe coupe with a 327. The brakes are always horrible, miss power steering, and could use ac with the Florida heat. My priority is steering and braking though. I have an updated 9in ford rear end. I'm at a loss. Should I find a compatible modern car frame? Do a disc brake kit? New front clip? I have no idea. I just want a safe and fun ride for my kids! I've had this car since I was 12, I'm now 37. Unfortunately I've always cheapened out and now I have a mix of all kinds of parts on the vehicle. Help me choose the best course! 

Disk breaks is a very common upgrade on these cars. A brake booster might not be too bad to make work, the power steering might cause some trouble. I think some people like Andy has put in a rack and pinion in there cars. I dont think you need to do a front clip or a modern frame swap. I can understand the clip though for the power steering and disks. But that's usually to have the motor mounting aswell, which sounds like you taken care of

Gidday from Oztralia......lol.........I'd get the disc brakes installed first with a booster and master cylinder to suit the Frod 9".....as for the steering I assume that you still ahve the original steering box?........what condition is it in?..........it maybe worth giving it a rebuild, new bearings, seals and check the worm & roller condition then top up with proper oil, not grease as most end up throwing in these old steering boxes.........I would NOT consider a front clip or frame swap unless I was absolutely certain I knew what I was doing and was certain to complete the job and more importantly do it in a proper and professional manner.........there are always halfarsed junk selling on ebay with frame swaps and similar that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.........my car has a rack & pinion and has had for over 45 years and back in 1973 that was the way I did it however there are lots of ways to skin a cat now and if I was doing it again I'd more than likely be using a late model normal style steering box with the 318 Poly mounted differently but thats me..........as I said its more than possible to update the brakes & steering without chopping the frame.............Rustyhope and ECI both have disc brake kits that should be looked at...........I'd check that your steering box is o/k before looking at a power steering setup tho' maybe check the aftermarket steering boxes made to suit 55-57 Chevs as they may offer an alternative but will probably involve the steering column being swapped as well............Welcome aboard.........Andy Douglas     

I suggest disc.brakes, new brake lines, and new wiring. Then drive it for a year. These cars drive very well stock. Find out what you really do not like, then repair and change accordingly.  JMHO 

Since I was just a broke teenager I had to make due with what I had and that's the reason for the 327. I know it's odd to throw a chevy engine in a plymouth. I'm amazed at the number is responses already. You guys are really nice. I've heard good things from this site and the hamb regarding the conversation kits. I'll look into the actual condition of my steering first to see if maybe I could refresh it rather than replacing it. I'll let you know how things go! Still open to any more opinions! Thanks! 

9 hours ago, 48PLYDELUX said:

could use ac with the Florida heat.

Vintage Air has an AC for the VW which has a 30 hp engine. I'm looking into that for my B3B. Your coupe will likely have about the same interior cu in as the VW. FFT

327 in a Plymouth is a great combo driven by budget and convenience and especially if you are not doing a "correct" resto.  I was "suckered" into the Mopar in a Mopar, Ford in a Ford and Chev in a Chev directives by those with more opinion than experience,.....in my opinion.  If you are fairly "handy" and open minded, go for what suits your budget and objectives and create a fun, safe, great looking  and practical old looking car.

I've done the front clip on my P15 Couple and couldn't be happier.  My reasoning was, the clip got me brakes and steering in one "designed" package.  Alternatively you can do separate steering and brake and lowering projects (which I previously did with success) but it's kinda a "mish-mash" of parts and suppliers.  I chose manual R&P steering and non-power brakes because of,.... less places for failures and/or leaks, and a simpler install.  I have no problem with the extra effort required but my wife will not drive the car.  If you have to make choices, I'd guess A/C should be high on the priority list.

Good luck, keep us posted and understand that "without pics, it aint real".

BAC.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 48PLYDELUX said:

I'm new to the group and very inexperienced. I have a1948 plymouth special deluxe coupe with a 327. The brakes are always horrible, miss power steering, and could use ac with the Florida heat. My priority is steering and braking though. I have an updated 9in ford rear end. I'm at a loss. Should I find a compatible modern car frame? Do a disc brake kit? New front clip? I have no idea. I just want a safe and fun ride for my kids! I've had this car since I was 12, I'm now 37. Unfortunately I've always cheapened out and now I have a mix of all kinds of parts on the vehicle. Help me choose the best course! 

A Chevy 327 is perfect...I put a 265 in a 47 Plymouth coupe way back..For motor mounts 1/2 inch by 2 inch wide flat bar that went from the motor mounts directly to the top of the frame..  .Plymouth fuel hose threaded into the Plymouth fuel pump without any modifying...I used the Powerglide and mounted the back of it to a 4 inch channel welded between the frame members... Used early Ford rubber spacers... Powerglide oil cooling lines were the correct length to the radiator cooler..   Had to buy a floor shifter....Plymouth throttle linkage matched up to the chevy carb rod...Speed cable fit from the Plymouth to the powerglide.  The 1956 chevy radiator was a slip fit into the Plymouth radiator channel  ( It slipped out of my hands and fell into the channel and lodged tight...)      The Plymouth drive shaft was a slip fit into the 1956 chevy driveshaft and I didn't even have to have it balanced...  Think the exhaust matched close but I may have used a flex hose section...  Speedometer showed 10 miles per hour fast at around 70 which was fun to scare my passengers.. New speedometer gears in the powerglide will fix that though....The motor swap took 2 days.  Only raised the hood to check the oil etc.