Oil Filter Flow

After three years I finally fired up my rebuilt 218 for the first time yesterday and it ran like a top (except for a couple of minor coolant leaks and a fuel leak).  My oil pressure is 45psi (a big relief).  So far I've only run the engine for five or ten minutes at idle just to check things out. This morning I pulled out the sock type oil filter to see if I have oil flow up to the filter. But no! The sock filter is totally clean just like new!  No oil has gone through the filter at all.  I don't see how that's possible with 45 psi on the gauge.  So, I removed the whole oil filter assembly as well as the supply and return lines to check for obstructions. Everything is free and clear. So I left the oil port in the main oil gallery disconnected and wide open. Then I cranked the engine.  A considerable amount of oil came out of the port. So, as far as I can tell, lack of oil pressure and flow in the main gallery is not the problem.

Here's my question: Do 218 engines need to be running at highway speed before they are able to build up enough pressure (and flow) for oil to flow up through the oil filter?

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

32 minutes ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

After three years I finally fired up my rebuilt 218 for the first time yesterday and it ran like a top (except for a couple of minor coolant leaks and a fuel leak).  My oil pressure is 45psi (a big relief).  So far I've only run the engine for five or ten minutes at idle just to check things out. This morning I pulled out the sock type oil filter to see if I have oil flow up to the filter. But no! The sock filter is totally clean just like new!  No oil has gone through the filter at all.  I don't see how that's possible with 45 psi on the gauge.  So, I removed the whole oil filter assembly as well as the supply and return lines to check for obstructions. Everything is free and clear. So I left the oil port in the main oil gallery disconnected and wide open. Then I cranked the engine.  A considerable amount of oil came out of the port. So, as far as I can tell, lack of oil pressure and flow in the main gallery is not the problem.

Here's my question: Do 218 engines need to be running at highway speed before they are able to build up enough pressure (and flow) for oil to flow up through the oil filter?

Jocko, I assume that you have connected the filter correctly. Enclosed a picture to be safe there.

The second picture shows details regarding the relief valve,how it works and opening pressure (sorry, picture copy is not of good quality)

Since your engine has got a good oil pressure, I would check if the plunger is stuck.

Also, as far as I know, there are different springs. Are you sure your engine has got the correct one installed ?

There is also a little info about the Bypass oil filter system in the tech section -> http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/tech_tips.html/

Just my thoughts, where I would start ... Jan

remote_oil_filter.jpg.50e438330e952a7ea4a2ea0524dc5c8c.jpg

relief_valve.thumb.JPG.53b2a0de4deb90a84ad264f27e1f3bfa.JPG

• Thanks 2

As Jan says, the oil pressure is good, but if the relief valve is stuck closed the return flow from the filter is blocked. Hence no flow through the filter.

Can you freely blow air through the Outlet line back into the crankcase, with the engine running at 45psi oil pressure? (You'd have to block the outlet port of the filter)

Or rig up a rubber hose from the outlet port and route it into the filler pipe. If oil flows out of the filter outlet test hose with the engine running you have verified that the filter is good, but the return is blocked through the relief valve. You could probably do both tests at the same time. Rig up the second return hose, and while running the engine to check for flow through the filter you could test the flow through the return line through the relief valve.

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

I removed the relief valve, but it is free and well lubricated. I have good oil pressure and my lines are new so I thought I better check the filter housing itself. Sure enough, there is a tiny hole inside the bottom  fitting boss about 1/16 in in diameter. It was clogged solid. I couldn't blow through it.  I used a safety pin to clear the clog followed by a good rinsing of the internal tube with lacquer thinner. I'll test oil flow through the filter tomorrow and post the results.

Flash light shining through the hole:

20190405_203121_resized.jpg.5e550a5713349038901706bb0466491e.jpg The hole is actually a little less than 1/16 inch. I could not poke a 1/16 inch drill bit through it.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

3 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

.... so I thought I better check the filter housing itself. Sure enough, there is a tiny hole inside the bottom  fitting boss about 1/16 in in diameter. It was clogged solid. I couldn't blow through it. ...

Jocko, I just read your feedback and reread your first post.

If the relief valve was stuck closed, at least a slight amount of oil would have entered the oil filter. You wrote that it was absolutely clean.

So the issue must be anywhere in the inlet. I think you found the problem !

Sorry for misleading you ... !

Jan,

No problem at all! You were helping me out! Your solution caused me to go back and review the engine oiling system. Later today I'll test the filter again and post the results. Do us a favor and post a photo of your '39 Plymouth truck.

Jocko

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

.... Do us a favor and post a photo of your '39 Plymouth truck.

Jocko

Hmm,  I do not have many pictures of it and don`t know, if it is worth to post ...dings and dents and has got pa(ul)tina *

Posted some blurred pics here some weeks ago

http://p15-d24.com/topic/53-lets-see-pic-of-your-trucks/page/32/

Post #797

PT81Jan.jpg.df1da400bf213cf577440b62e0d0e71a.jpg

PT81_WLA.thumb.jpg.aaf54407e5329edd436d8b8292292192.jpg

* sorry Pflaming, no intention to blame you ! The opposite is the case. Paultina is an integral part of my language since that term came up.

• Like 1