Where to get u-joint kits for 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

Bernbaums or Roberts come to mind. I’m sure there’s others. Do yours need rebuilt or would a good clean and re-greasing work. As long as you don’t press the pin out they’re easy to service. New boots are available and are a must. If they are too far gone there’s someone who makes a complete driveshaft with modern u-joints. 

Your'e DeSoto can use one of two styles of "winged" U-Joint. Depends on serial # of car.

You need to know which one the car has.

Neither is at all easy to find NOS.... and will be big $$$.... unless you get lucky.

U-Joint 1946-50 DeSoto With Delta Wing and Clamp and DeSoto  Chrysler Drilled Low Wing 947550.JPG

1946-48 DeSoto Delta Wing U- Joint with Bolt on Clamp.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Maybe take them apart and check for any wear..if none carefully wash out the old grease and re-pack.

Keep all caps and needles orientated as they were.

Good to go.

• After looking around in my garage, I found three of the four needle bearing blocks for my driveshaft.  My bearing blocks are the kind that don't have holes through the flanges.  I guess that means mine had to have the clamps with the holes to connect the u-joints to the car.  See DodgeB4ya's pics of u-joints.  but I can't find the clamps at least for now.  I looks like the kits come with the type that don't need the clamps, since they have the holes through the flanges.  I rolled under my car and saw that the hand brake has four studs coming out, and the rear axle has four holes for connection.  So I need four nuts for the front and four bolts and nuts for the rear axle connection. 

U-Joint1946-50DeSotoWithDeltaWingandClampandDeSotoChryslerDrilledLowWing947550.JPG.d9c938ad09de3ac8add7315458c47a3d.JPG

Yes... 5/16" X fine (24 tpi) studs/nuts are used at the trans E Brake drum.

The same size of thread bolts and nuts are used at the rear axle flange....a really tough U joint to fine as is the other one... reasonably priced!

1946-48 DeSoto Delta Wing U- Joint with Bolt on Clamp.JPG

DeSoto 1946-48 Delta Wing Clamp Retainer Style U Joint.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I must have those missing c-clamps somewhere and that missing front bearing block.  If I can't find them, I'll have to pay the piper.  I guess they cost about $200 per kit?  Thanks for the great pics Dodge.  Marc.

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I was contacted by a parts supplier called Mobile Parts who said that he had the u-joint rebuild kits I needed.  I asked him if he had different part numbers for the rear and front u-joints and he said the front and rear u-joint kits were identical.  When I checked my drive shaft, the rear bearing blocks do not fit on the front bearing blocks, so I assume it would require different part numbers as shown in the official DeSoto Parts Manual.  But it could be that a rebuild kit from Spicer, or some other company, might have identical crosses and would have identical bearing blocks.  Is that true, or do I need different u-joints for front and back? 

I don't know what a rebuild kit is for either of the joints that could be for your DeSoto... never seen them but IMO the only right way is a complete new correct fitting joint kit.

For what its worth I just looked in my Andy Bernbaum paper cattle dog and on page 76 they list both front & rear cross & roller uni joints for 42-50 DeSoto..........regards, andyd 

Bernbaums as of now online... no go they skip Desoto for 1946-48

UJoint Bernbaum.PNG

No they don't.  You are looking at the cars that use the Ball and Trunnion style u-joint.  Scroll down for the Cross and Roller type.  I just bought the last Mopar Cross and Roller u-joint that he had for a 48 Desoto.  He said he plans to have more of them made in the future.  Now I need four C-clamps.  Does anybody have any?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Marc..........I have an idea.....lol.........seriously tho'........have you ever had the chance to compare the actual spacing of the four 5/16th UNF bolts/studs that are on the brake drum and also the rear diff flange hole spacing and compared this spacing to the flanged slip joint yoke used on mid or late 50's Plymouths............my car, uses an Oz 1957-62 Chrysler Royal(same as US 57-62 Plymouth) front slip joint yoke and normal cross & roller uni joints which are easily obtainable...............I am wondering whether its feasible to use the Plymouth sliding slip joint flange and yoke on the front and even the flanged rear plate on the DeSoto ..........I have the rear setup spare to my needs as I swapped in a Frod rear axle a few years ago but still have the Plymouthy.......unfortunately I am in Australia so postage is a killer........but just an idea?..........regards, andyd  

Why the need for the clamp plates?

They are totally safe to re-use?