How do you put car on U-haul car transport?

MarcDeSoto

I am planning to tow my 48 DeSoto to Moyer Automotive so they can install new brake lines, fuel line, new exhaust system, driveshaft, etc. on a lift.  I went to U-haul to get a car transport to haul my car there.  But they said there is no winch on the car trailer to haul the car up the ramps.  I've rented car transports in the past and they seemed to have winches in the past, but not now.  So I'm going to buy a Come-a-long winch at Harbor Freight.  Should I buy two Come-a-longs, or would just one be enough?  Should I buy the 2 ton or the 4 ton Come-a-long?  And is towing with a tow dolly a bad idea with the drive shaft installed.  My car has fluid drive.  Thanks.

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I have pushed a couple cars up with the snow plow on my wheel horse garden tractor.  Put. Couple old tires between the bumper and the plow.  Use low range  second and Scoot them up the ramps as far as possible then finish the job with a come along.

Tom,  When you disconnect the driveshaft, do you just disconnect it from the rear axle?  Or do you remove the driveshaft completely?  If you just disconnect the axle end, how do you support the driveshaft?  Thanks for the pics.  Marc.

11 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Tom,  When you disconnect the driveshaft, do you just disconnect it from the rear axle?  Or do you remove the driveshaft completely?  If you just disconnect the axle end, how do you support the driveshaft?  Thanks for the pics.  Marc.

I disconnected it from the rear and wired it to the frame.

Tow dolly works fine but do indeed undo the driveshaft. Undo it from the rear end and just wire it up and out of the way. For a full on trailer the come al long works well but don’t expect it to hold for the whole trip. I use a safety chain with my winch. Loop over a control arm and to the trailer header. 2 crossed chains or straps for the rear of the car.

Amen, rubber!  Once I towed this 48 Desoto over the Tehachapi's on an auto transport with the those straps cinched tight over the front wheels.  I had my brother driving behind me to check on the car.  Turns out, I hit a big bump or dip in the road and the straps came off, but I didn't know it.  After we arrived at my house, my brother said you car kept going forward and jerking back on the transport.  Only the safety chain prevented my car from falling off!!!!  Thanks, Marc.

just had same  problem, a good come along was $250..   cheap ones fail....  so I blocked trailer wheels  and rear of trailer so trailer wouldn't tilt  , chained  snatch block  too truck  frame ,a piece of good rope .    tie to tow vehicle and to trailer ... pulled up on trailer  ,  was amazed at  ease of pulling truck on trailer..  my D100 slant six didn't even grunt   ...  simple tools are the bestqu92890_800.jpg