All fluid fill locations

White Spyder

I am pr ping my 48 for a road trip that is 3 hours each way and was making sure all fluids were topped off.  Experienced the fun of putting fluid into the fluid-drive coupling and went to check the gear oil in the transmission. Can't recall what gear oil is needed and want to confirm that the fill point is on the SIDE of the transmission just in front of the electrical connections and not through the large bolt on the TOP behind the electrical connections. 

Thanks

If you have the M-5 trans in your 48 Chrysler which you probably have ....use 10 Weight oil only. There is a tag on the side of the trans telling you that.

• 2 weeks later...

"Now I need to drain the trans. Put in about a 1q of the GL1. "

The shorthand confused me.  I thought "Put in a 1 q..." was a command, and was about to scream "No!"  But it was past tense.  "I put in about 1 q...."  OK, GL-1 comes out,  10 weight oil goes in.   Whew.

• Haha 1

There is also a plate at the back of the Trans down bottom in the back. It holds a filter cylinder in it. At some point remove and clean. insert back into the trans and I believe a small gasket will need to be made to seal the plate cover back into place. An easy gasket make with scissors or an exacto knife. I believe the "Fill with 10 WT Oil Tab is attached at the base of the Governor on the passengers side of the Transmission, whereas the plate for the filter is the backside lower driver's side of the transmission.

Have a happy, fun, safe road trip!

Tom