1937 Plymouth Rear Springs Settling after rear end swap.

cturboaddict

I did an Explorer 8.8 Rear end swap on my 37 Plymouth project. After new shocks and the rear end was installed, the passenger side is sitting about 2" higher than the drivers. I tried jumping on the back to bounce it to settle, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Anyone have any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Robert Horne said:

I had a similar situation with my 38 Coupe.      I added an extra leaf to one side.     Has been good the past few years...

3 minutes ago, Robert Horne said:

Is the Explorer rear a good fit for your 37?        My Ranger rear in my 38 Coupe was not wide enough, so I added spacers.  Made a ok fit with 235 tires, but 225 tires would be better....

038.JPG

I may just put new springs on both sides. I was just curious if it would settle.
I had to add 1 1/4" wheel spacers to the rear, but I don't have the correct offset wheels right now. May not need them afterwards. 

Edited by cturboaddict

Yes, most likely left spring is sagging or has a broken leaf. If yours are sheathed springs, a broken leaf may not be apparent. There is a seller on eBay (no any affiliation) who has a set of new production springs at a very reasonable price. They will have to be used with rubber bushing rear shackles, and front silent blocks are pre-installed.

Rear springs 

39 minutes ago, sser2 said:

Yes, most likely left spring is sagging or has a broken leaf. If yours are sheathed springs, a broken leaf may not be apparent. There is a seller on eBay (no any affiliation) who has a set of new production springs at a very reasonable price. They will have to be used with rubber bushing rear shackles, and front silent blocks are pre-installed.

Rear springs 

The Left  (DRIVERS) spring is sitting properly (ride height looks correct). The passenger side (RIGHT), is REALLY HIGH. There's almost 6" of clearance from tire to fender. On a 17" rim. 

Side note, the Passenger side right spring, is a sheathed leaf spring. The Drivers side is not, but is also sitting properly. 

Edited by cturboaddict

Here's what trips me up. Before the rear end swap, the car sat level. 
After the swap, both sides were very high. A couple days later, and the drivers side settled out, and passenger side stayed high. 

I have a GM 10 bolt from an early Camario , 54-1/4" wide backing plate to backing plate, which is the same width as the original rear end. I used Posie springs which we had to fabricate custom C shaped shackles for.. The setup worked perfectly.

39 Plym shack 1.jpg

Edited by blucarsdn