No timing marks on harmonic balancer..

Cold Blue

Joe - I have never removed a balancer from a 218, and have never had a 218 apart to see if indeed your are right. Logic says you are, but others on this Forum that have the experience with these motors will have to give us an answer. It does make perfect sense. Could anyone confirm this?? It would be appreciated!! Blue.

Anyone ever consider using something like this??

Still need to do a accurate find of true TDC for # 1 cyl. and applying the appropriate length of the tape.

DJ

MSD Timing Tapes 8985 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing.html

13 hours ago, soth122003 said:

I just thought of this. Is the balancer keyed to the crankshaft? and if so wouldn't the timing marks be directly above the key slot on the balancer? Reason I ask is I have never pulled one before. Logic is that the marks have to align with the crankshafts no.1 piston connecting rod bearing every time you remove and reinstall the balancer to ensure that the timing marks are in the same place every time. If so, remove the nut and follow the key up to make your marks. 

This is just my guess. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe Lee

The timing marks 'could' be placed anywhere on the balancer, the pointer position determines where they are.

Or this you tube video to make your own tape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyujyS4lizc

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

Or this you tube video to make your own tape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyujyS4lizc

DJ

That is the same process I described earlier.  Accurate, cheap, simple.  No cost, as cheap as it gets.  Like all the other methods it all starts with finding an accurate TDC.  and, mother Chrysler was kind enough to provide a hole just for that on #6.  I'd use a dial indicator with a long stem instead of a straw, stick etc.  Makes it much easier. bring it to tdc, move it a little in both directions to assure your spot on.  Mark the pulley.  add more marks with a flexible machinist's scale described earlier.  Done

That said, I rely on a vacuum gauge for final tuning anyway, so 2-4 degrees as seen on the pulley is probably not important.

• Like 1

We used to advance the timing until the motor pinged then back it off a smidge til it didn't.  Not very scientific but used to win nearly drag between lights with the old 47....

• Like 1

IF you get a tape, you still have to use the piston stop and degree wheel to properly position the tape.....if you go this route, a good scratch awl and some highlight paint will suffice and you can save purchase of the tape and shipping cost......anyone that has ever used a piston stop and a degree wheel will clearly understand why it is the only method you can accurately define TDC...sometimes doing your best is not good enough, sometimes it has to be done right...

• Like 1