Bob Riding

I am in the middle of fitting my 218/2004R combo into the '52 Suburban and can't quite figure out how I'm going to support the rear engine with mounts. I have a transmission mount with polyurethane pad for the rear tail shaft of the transmission, and I'm using the stock single motor mount for the front, but the stock rear motor mount crossmember needed to be cut out to make room for the auto tranny. I've looked at a number of after-market solutions from Summit, JEGs, Butch's Cool Stuff, and other sites, in addition to Forum threads, but most of the swaps are for SBC or other V8s, and not designed for a GM auto trans with our stock motors and frames. The shiny Wilcap adapter has a number of pre-drilled mounting holes, but I'm not sure if it would be better to have rear engine mounts under the rear of the bell housing, or attached to the Wilcap adapter. Anyone else face this issue?

image2.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

IMG_6779.JPG

2 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I am in the middle of fitting my 218/2004R combo into the '52 Suburban and can't quite figure out how I'm going to support the rear engine with mounts. I have a transmission mount with polyurethane pad for the rear tail shaft of the transmission, and I'm using the stock single motor mount for the front, but the stock rear motor mount crossmember needed to be cut out to make room for the auto tranny. I've looked at a number of after-market solutions from Summit, JEGs, Butch's Cool Stuff, and other sites, in addition to Forum threads, but most of the swaps are for SBC or other V8s, and not designed for a GM auto trans with our stock motors and frames. The shiny Wilcap adapter has a number of pre-drilled mounting holes, but I'm not sure if it would be better to have rear engine mounts under the rear of the bell housing, or attached to the Wilcap adapter. Anyone else face this issue?

image2.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

IMG_6779.JPG

Is the plate on backwards? Starter opening appears to be on the wrong side.

I would be concerned with torque stability with a tailshaft mounted rear support and the single front mount.  That would seem to invite big rotational forces to rock the engine around a line drawn from the center of the high front mount through the rear.  Without the clutch housing mounts to stabilize it there would likely be a lot of motion there.  Exhaust, throttle and clutch linkages may take a beating.

A new custom support member would seen to be a good idea.  Maybe a hybrid solution with the rear supporting most of the weight and two lighter duty mounts from the adapter to resist rotation

Bob..........the original mopar 6 mounts were a 3 point arrangement that stopped the engine with the bolted on gearbox from wobbling.........to retain that style of mounting I'd be using/making some sort of mounts that fit where the original mopar ones would have been, ie, more or less on the Wilcap adaptor plate............tho' depending on how happy I was with this arrangement Ii may look into something using the gearbox mount also............Kens hybrid idea might be a good compromise...........andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

2 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Is the plate on backwards? Starter opening appears to be on the wrong side.

There is a hole on both sides so you have the option of mounting the starter on either side.

2 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Check these out. Designed to mount late model trans in 55-57 Chevy with stock bell housing trans mounts. On Ebay right now.  

s-l500 (1).jpg

Bob,

Wilcap Trans Adapter Co. website had info that I read in the past about Mopar flat six trans adapters that mentioned __Somewhere in their product instructions? info that Used to say something about making your own side  bell housing side mounts to fit your application and they showed ideas of  some ideas.

I could not find them just now as I was looking. Is it still there somewhere?? Give them a call!

Good luck with your conversion!

DJ

3 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Looks interesting. What is the title of the auction, or auction#?

Thanks

Bob

Auction #382516348217. 1955 1956 1957 Chevrolet Chevy Turbo Transmission Mount Brackets, w/Hardware. Hope this helps you.

Bob,

I am looking into using a GM six speed with my 265 flathead in my Desoto. The 5500 pound weight may do better over the hills with six speeds to choose from. (My '49 at 1500 less pounds fly's over the hills!)

I would make a steel plate that would run over the front of the Wilcap plate and bolt to it and what I assume are the bottom bell housing bolt holes. Similar to what I had in my XKE for the torsion bars. At the ends of that steel plate, I would form it to use a simple round wide motor mount. Heck, one could use the stock cross member mounting points and weld the mounting points to the side of the frame and then use stock rear mounts.

I will have to come up with a solution to this issue as well since I will be using the Wilcap adaptor as well.

Let me now how it works out.

James.

I ordered the 1955 1956 1957 Chevrolet Chevy Turbo Transmission Mount Brackets, from eBay- I think I can make them work for the Wilcap adapter. I will let the group know the results!

• 4 weeks later...

I plan to adapt a 200R4 or a TH350 behind my 230 using the Wilcap adapter. A mount at the adapter plate will be paramount but doable. Cardboard for mocking is our friend according to a friend of mine.