Interesting Transmission Fluid Info

chrysler1941

I wrote to the professor as I do not agree with some of his statements in the video.  You can look up my write up on fluid drive fluid as it is in the archives.

The essence of my disagreement is the statements from Gyrol, who licensed the technology to Chrysler. Their engineer told me that the anti-corrosion and anti-foaming agents in the fluid break down in the car on the shelf or in the fluid coupling in about 7 years.  Since foaming is directly related to power transfer...

Gyrol still makes industrial fluid couplings. Since the professor was quoting a paper from over 50 years ago and the information I was told from Gyrol is 10 years old, I suspect that Gyrol now has more data with which to reach a conclusion.

James

Excellent video... except for M3 transmission?

• 1 month later...

That was an interesting video, not least because of the cutaway fluid drive unit. And by the way, I just checked my fluid drive fluid level (for the first time in probably 7 years or so), and it was adequately full of fluid, although the fluid did have a rust tinge to it. But what Professor Kelley had to say about oxygen absorption had me thinking a bit about the advisability of draining and refilling the unit after many years. Anyone have opinions about the advisability of draining and refilling with fresh fluid or is it best left alone until the seals show signs of failure? I mean "lifetime fluid," sure, but maybe the Chrysler engineers never really foresaw 80 year old units still in service. 

IMO....Leave it alone. It ain't broke...

I've never changed any of mine... all original. On one's I've resealed of course ISO 22 or 32.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

IMO....Leave it alone. It ain't broke...

I've never changed any of mine... all original. On one's I've resealed of course ISO 22 or 32.

100% Never opened mine. Don't know if it's original MoPar Fluid Drive Fluid or Johnson baby oil. As long as it works.

• Haha 1

I had no idea that automatic tranny fluid was oil based. I wondered why there were so many types - it turns out that the majority of the upgrades to fluids came about because of improvements in oil refining. Nice video!