Today is Vietnam Veterans Day

Don Coatney

Some of you may have heard this before.

• Thanks 2

When I was in the Army in the '80s, there were still a good number of Vietnam veterans still in service in the senior NCO and officer ranks.  We tended to listen to them more often than the other leadership.  A few had a couple of loose screws, but all of them knew what they were doing, and more importantly, why.  I'm not talking the nebulous reasons for a war, but how to get the job done and stay more or less in one piece during one.  When we went to Grenada my platoon had one of the very, very few Vietnam vets as its platoon sergeant / leader (no Lt.).  That was just a bar-fight compared to other conflicts, but we had a few scraps that the SFC saw us through with just a few scratches.  When I joined the Border Patrol, just under half the organization were Vietnam vets (total BP number was 3k at the time), those guys were a hoot to learn from and work with.   That video is a good reminder that the U.S. wasn't the only nation fighting for democracy in Vietnam, we just had the largest presence, thanks for posting.  And thanks to all the Vietnam vets out there - for many reasons.  Glad you'uns made it home, just wish there had been more that did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2