Gas Filler Tube

David T

I am looking for information regarding the gas fill tube.  The previous owner removed the old tube.  I replaced the tank and have the piece of filler tube that goes between the tube on the tank and the gas cap tube (?).  My questions are:

1. how does the gas cap tube grommet attach to the body? And tube?

2. My filler tube seems a couple inches too short... am i missing another piece of steel tubing or should i try to buy a longer piece of rubber tubing?

any help is appreciated.

The grommet has a lip that fits the opening.  The external part of the gas tube is connected to the tube that is part of the tank by means of a short piece of rubber hose, fastened with hose clamps.  If someone else doesn't have the information ready, I can measure my old one (for length), but won't be able to do that today.

I thought it had a lip as well but couldnt find it.... the tube just looks short then.  I will post pics of what i have as well later today.  If someone has a puc of theirs that would be great too, especially showing the gas cap...

Okay, one fill tube and cap on the way. 

My fuel line attaches to the tank (obviously) and runs along the drivers side of the car, crosses the front slightly behind and under the front bumper, then comes out under the radiator....does everyone use steel tubing or rubber hose to make that connection? 

2 hours ago, David T said:

My fuel line attaches to the tank (obviously) and runs along the drivers side of the car, crosses the front slightly behind and under the front bumper, then comes out under the radiator....does everyone use steel tubing or rubber hose to make that connection? 

steel all the way to the front with just a small length of rubber at the end up to the fuel pump

3 hours ago, David T said:

On my 46, both the fuel line & the brake line for the right wheel are attached to the upper front face of the front cross member. 

Eneto......thats the stock fuel and brake line routing at least from 1940 maybe earlier.........then there was/is a short, maybe 6-8" flexible stainless steel line that screws into the fuel pump......with the correct hose fittings you could use a piece of rubber fuel hose so long as it doesn't get anywhere near the exhaust manifold, the original setup also included a sheetmetal heat shield between the front of the exhaust manifold and the fuel line running from the fuel pump vertically up then back to the carby.............andyd