Help me understand my fuel line

After recently rebuilding my fuel pump, I noticed some perceived oddities with the fuel supply as I was reinstalling it.  I have never done any work on a fuel supply line before so this is all new territory for me.  This may be a stupid question, but is the fuel supply line supposed to be the same size from the gas tank to the carb?  The gas tank line is a steel 5/16" line that ends near the frame.  Then a 5/16" rubber hose is clamped onto the end of that.  What I don't understand is why both the fuel pump inlet and outlet lines are 1/8" as well as the carb inlet.  Is that the way it usually is?  The rubber hose goes onto a reducer barb that screws into the fuel pump, and two more reducers on the pump outlet to the steel line and the inlet to the carb.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

tubing and pipe sizes are not a 'hand in hand' size....

So this is normal?  5/16" steel and 5/16" tube connecting to a 1/8" connection on the carb and pump?  I also failed to add that the steel line between the fuel pump and the carb is also 5/16" with reducers at both ends.

yup, seems like exactly what I have.

The purist will tell you to use 5/16" as original .... but if it was reduced to smaller why bother?

Thinking I will stay 5/16" just because I can reuse the original fittings, everything will fit together.

IMHO, I see no reason to stay 5/16" just because the factory did .... then jumped back and forth in sizes.

And no, 5/16" is not a common size to buy at your local parts store.

5/16 steel line is the OD, 5/16 rubber line is ID, and yes I can’t imagine it’s 1/8th, possibly a 1/4 ID but 1/8th would never run the truck properly, and 1/4” would be suspect for proper flow as well.  Should be 5/16 steel from tank to just before carb, then a short chunk of 5/16 ID rubber.

you are aware that the 1/8-27 is national pipe taper and is that these barbs come in a variety of hose size for connection to meet you flow desire......here is just one....the pictured barb is for a 3/8 rubber hose   they are also available for AN connections or inverted flare etc.....

Moroso-65375-Fitting-Fuel-Hose-Qty-Of-1-1-4-034-NPT-To-3-8-034-Hose-Nipple

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1