1950 pilothouse dodge truck transmission

It's all technique.  Match the engine speed with road speed of the gear shifting into.  Depress clutch, gear shift into neutral, release clutch use accelerator pedal to raise engine speed to the correct range.  Now quickly depress clutch and shift into the next gear.

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Did I mention the need to Practice?  It takes a while for the ear to learn the engine note needed for the next gear.  Upshifting isn't too hard, downshifts are more difficult.

you might consider a from a transmission  from 53 4    pretty hard to find  but the top three gears are synchronized .

4 speed truck transmissions in 50 were not.

As Ken said - a non-synchro tranny requires that you double clutch when you shift. Like Ken said - The idea is to get the engine speed the same as the transmission gear speed. You are basically syncronizing the tranny using the gas feed. It is loads of fun when you get the hang of it! If it were me, I would keep the tranny just the way it is...

Yes, practice your double clutching. Kencombs lists the technique for down shifting, by reving up the engine between shifts. When upshifting you need to let the engine rpm come down to match the next gear. It’ll take a little practice, but you’ll get the hang of it. Eventually you’ll get to where you can upshift without the clutch. Just manipulate the throttle to break the torque on the gears and shift to neutral, let the engine speed come down until it slips into the next gear, get back on the gas... 

• Like 2

Have fun learning to drive a crash box.?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

On March 24, 2019 at 2:51 PM, kencombs said:

It's all technique.  Match the engine speed with road speed of the gear shifting into.  Depress clutch, gear shift into neutral, release clutch use accelerator pedal to raise engine speed to the correct range.  Now quickly depress clutch and shift into the next gear.

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Did I mention the need to Practice?  It takes a while for the ear to learn the engine note needed for the next gear.  Upshifting isn't too hard, downshifts are more difficult.

Thanks ! I went for a little ride and gave it a try. I could see the difference but it is still kind of hard to do.. I guess as you said practice makes perfect.. So i will practice hopefully i will get it ... Do not  want to change the transmission.. 

I drove fuel trucks for Uncle Sam back in '70. Had to learn double clutching to survive. But it still took me months to get the hang of it. Adding the tach helped find the perfect shift point for the given speed, but really I find there are just a couple situations that repeat over and over, the third gear low speed corner and down shifting to third at 20-30 mph. Have fun and be sure to change your gear oil after you quit grinding gears.

I discovered this winter when it is single digits the 4 speed shifts like it has synchros! ...until it warms up.

• Like 1