260 poly vs 318 poly in c series truck

robt

I recently purchased a 55 c series truck and was told the engine was blown (260 poly).  I did get a new full gasket set with it along with a box that contained a bunch of the engines bolts and two connecting rods.  Its clear someone has had the heads and pan off.  I will disassemble and check it out but want to consider my other options.  I have a good 265 flathead that I could put in it and may go that direction but would prefer to keep it a v8.  Will the 318 poly bolt in without a lot of modifications? I read somewhere that they changed the crank flange in 1962.  I'm not sure if that is true or not.  I would like to maintain the original bell housing and overdrive trans.  

If I opt to go the  flathead route, will the bell housing be drilled for both the V-8 and the flathead?  

Thanks Rob

You 'might' have a dual pattern bell. You will find out when you remove the engine.

As to the 318 Poly, if it is pre-62 then it is essentially a bolt-in as far as the bell and flywheel goes.

Do you have side engine mounts? Not likely.  You will need to do some fab work.