Body mount fabrication

woodrow

I realised shortly after I bought my Plymouth that there was an issue with a couple of body mounts on the driver side.  One of them is rusting away but salvagable.  The other, one of the mounts that reaches out to the rocker, is in need of replacement. It is pretty well gone.  Has anybody fabbed up these mounts? if so what did you make them out of.  Pictures would be great also.  Thanks in advance. 

e-bay can turn up one fabricator that caters to older cars selling a generic shaped patch piece....you can purchase this and with some craftsmanship alter it for your need or you can fabricate your own....more involved but not without possibilities....as all these rust at different rates and some not at all....finding a parts car is not out of the question either.....if you have an older wrecking yard near, these were pretty much common to the era and you may be able to retrofit from another maker.   I removed these from a body before sending it to the crusher and they have been instrumental in the repair of other cars.   

quick 3 word search got these in a matter of couple seconds....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-FLOOR-PAN-FLOOR-BRACE-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-1949-1950-1951-1952-NEW-PAIR/283017303142?hash=item41e5255466:g:WqsAAOSwo9VbKrUF&frcectupt=true

I came up with a plan.  I am going to make mounts out of 1.5 I ch angle stitched I to a support but to keep the look of the original bracket i have cut out flat stock in the shape of the original  mount to kind of disguise the angle and maintain the illusion of originality.  kind of a facade over some plain fab work.  we'll see how it turns out.

I spent the last 2 days( not straight) repairing my chassis and mounts.  2 of my mounts on the drivers side were cancerous.  but they weren't the real problem.  The big issue was that the chassis surrounding the mounts was in pretty bad shape.  The side plate of the chassis was rotted around my 2nd and 3rd mounts  as well in that area the seam on the bottom of the rails was coming apart from rusting.  I've been trying to work out a plan to fix it and as you can see in a previous post on this thread and I thought I had that plan. but I was also searching for perhaps an easier way like possibly buying the mounts.  no such luck.  we really dont have access to scrap yards locally that would carry these cars and if somebody around has a car for parts they tend to hold on tight to it and not sell anything.  so last night I finally had enough and attacked the chassis repair.  that went well and between fish plating the weak sides and strip plating the seam it went great. helps that I am a certified welder with absolutely everything I need in my garage to do that kind of job.  today I decided to face the fact that I will have to make the mounts.  so I did.  and I think they came out good.  I imitated the original look and actually made the mount like the one I took off.  I've added some pics. they show the chassis plated, the mount in place, and the finished area.  I've got the hard mount done and now I've got to tackle the easier of the 2 tomorrow.

20190326_144836-2016x1512.jpg

20190326_144843-2016x1512.jpg

20190326_152749-1512x2016.jpg

20190326_163146-2016x1512.jpg

20190326_163704-2016x1512.jpg

20190326_163710-2016x1512.jpg

• Like 1

yes fabbing takes time but I'll tell you theres no better satisfaction then when you are done.

and yep, I love my bikes! I have a 1978 GL1000 fully dressed and all original, 1988 GL1500, 2003 100th Anniversary 1220 custom and a few more miscellaneous bikes.  It's a real weakness.

• Like 1

We live just down the Highway from the Plymouth Doctor (Mr. Brandon) and his parts are the the mounts that come off the frame.  You need the mounts off the body.  Mr. Brandon said no one makes the body side mounts anymore.  Your going to have to fabricate them.  I have the same issue but mine are gone all together.  you can see in the photo below.  I probably should have cut the ends off before having the body sandblasted, but that would have only mattered for one or two of them as the others were just gone.  I would be interested to see how you do this as I'll need to figure this out soon too.  Right now I think we plan to fix as much of the floor as possible before placing the body back in place and measuring for the months from there.

IMG_0588.jpg

3 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

oops I added my last  to the wrong chain.  Thanks

so.ethi g I never mentioned I  the other thread is that you have a perfect opportunity to fab the ribs under the body while it's on the rotisserie.  the mounts you will have to add to the chassis pro ably best to do when the body is in place.  

I'm sure there are.those 9f you who have had to replace those ribs that run from side to side of the P15 or similar.  They are undoubtedly a real rust magnet and eat away over the years.  I just added a little on to a couple of mine when I fixed some body mounts but over this coming winter  I have it in my mind to lift the body up a couple inches and replace/repair the rest of the ribs.  has anybody done this and what did u use for the rib.