1958 Dodge utility truck

Got the front measured, cut off the original frame, and doing some trial fitting on the Dakota clip. Looks like by notching the Dakota framerails, I can slide about 6" of them into the original frame rails and then weld in supports. Also looks like the original underfloor pedals are not going to work so I'll using a firewall mounted master cylinder, hanging pedals, and converting the clutch to hydraulic.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

So I got the clip welded in solid; need to go back and put in some supports later but it’s good to finish the rest of the setup. I cut the front of the old frame off; this is where the core support and motor mounts mounted. Rather than trying to recreate this, I’m going to cut off the front of the Dakota frame rails and splice this in. I marked the location of all the mounting holes on the concrete using a plumb bob and a tape measure before I cut the frame so I should be able to get it back in the same spot.

AD764245-1137-4F8D-8F76-F7631928C2FA.jpg

49E33A49-AF86-4C15-8A60-2C24C063DCE8.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Edited by falconvan

After a lot of thought I realized this is going to sit way too low and 10 times as much work to finish if I leave it this way. Doing a C notch on the rear would be a nightmare; it'd mean cutting the frame, bed floor, and possibly raising the engine and trans to get the angles right. I do still want it to be functional as a truck, just with better brakes and steering. I had a late night last night cutting the front clip loose and remeasuring. I don't want to do anything crazy to the rear end other than have the springs de-arched to take it down a few inches. Taking the overload springs out already took it down quite a bit. So I'm trying to calculate where the front end needs to be to have it sitting level after the weight of the drive train and front sheet metal are back on. So I think (hope) this is going to be the right place. Ended up with about a 4" offset between the original frame and the Dakota rails so I'll have to build some 1/4" fish plates to bring it together. We shall see once the weight of the engine is on it and I have the frame off the jack stands.

IMG_0765.jpg

I’m glad I backed up and redid this; it came out much better.I set the motor in to see what it looks like loaded and it’s just about right. The weight of the trans, front sheet metal and radiator should bring it down a little more. Now I just need to add some more braces, clean up and paint the frame and firewall, and start on the drivetrain.

4944ADD5-12BB-430C-9458-7BDA9957E2E6.jpeg

832AB336-24D6-41EB-96B5-2E8C2E1D9128.jpeg

I got everything boxed and braced today; my old welder got a serious workout. I’m going to break out the power washer tomorrow. I also think I’m going to go ahead and change all the A-arm bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Might as well start out fresh.

6425376D-441F-44D5-8C32-67477E9FA031.jpeg

Edited by falconvan

I decided to do a trial fit on the engine to make sure I had the motor mounts in the right location and check that the oil pan would clear the Dakota frame. It dropped right into place but I am going to have to do a little notch on the frame; the oil pan is just touching the back of the front crossmember. But I’m happy; all the measurements looked like they were right. Should have the motor bolted in for good this week and be able to start putting all the stuff back on it.

1B741D83-8B53-4C66-B850-BA8787800D1F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a fair amount done this week. Just about everything is bolted on the engine, trans is in, and one side of the suspension has new a-arm bushings and ball joints. Got a lot of late hours at work this coming week so probably won’t get back on it until next weekend.

5E9C481B-6886-4DF3-8D10-8EA74C6E52CA.jpg

015DFF7D-0975-4443-8ECC-989E80849B4B.jpg

A5F09B31-1942-4B42-9090-2BFA9EEB4C4E.jpg

• Like 1

Got my steering column and pedals mocked up. The old column was missing several parts and had an add on blinker switch. This one came from an early 60s Dodge truck. Just had to swap the shaft so the steering wheel splines would match. For pedals I modified a set of Fiero pedals and used a Wilwood clutch master and a big bore Mopar brake master. I’ll probably start on wiring next before I start putting the front clip back together. I saved the whole wiring harnesses from the Dakota; I’m just going to modify it and use it.

8F75FB04-33D2-4BEE-B7D2-6F3C428B6284.jpeg

7653EB52-7CCF-4119-AD29-92409E48D5E9.jpeg

• Like 1

Started getting the front clip back together. I got this grill off the other truck; it’s a 1959 but it’s in better shape and I like the look. I’ve got a little rust repair on the driver’s fender and the passenger door but the rest is going on as is.

807CAACC-8E39-4CFE-9A28-0BEF14A80694.jpeg

49CCD83A-10E1-43B8-9690-AF71BBE457AC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the wiring and everything works. Now I just have to wrap it. It worked out good using the Dakota harness. The old Motorola radio was in a box in the back when I bought the truck; I think it makes a cool prop. I’m going to hide a radio in the glovebox so there’s nothing modern looking on the dash. Next if going to put the exhaust back on, then the fender and start fixing up the passenger door.

3D0C4C55-765B-40D3-B701-101DB3EB5C43.jpeg

BFE993E6-A38A-42DE-AEEA-F3260645FCD9.jpeg

A2D9A790-9CB3-4E8C-B146-DABB6F5CCD6D.jpeg

• Like 1