1939 Nash Lafayette

Cold Blue

I have l located a 1939 Nash Lafayette near me. It has the original flathead six in it; 4 door sedan with suicide doors. It is in rough condition, but the rust is not too awfully bad. The guy says it does run. Most pieces are there, except for the instrument cluster. It does not have the original wheels. The bench seats are just the springs... How rare is this car? Is it worth restoring? Thanks in advance!!! 

A couple of things worth considering .The 1939 Nash Lafayette 4 door while a nice car may be a poor choice to "restore". A restoration ,if done correctly can be very expensive and easily exceed the resale value of the car. The commitment to restore would have to be a "labour of love" - even with having the vehicle given to you. Body trim and other parts while readily available at a reasonable cost for Ford and Chevrolet for instance are more expensive for some of the less common vehicles.  Rarity in itself does not always equate to the resale value of a vehicle. Great to save these vehicles from the crusher for sure but not always to consider restoring as an "investment". imho

as folks stated costly, time consuming and little reward in return for investment SHOULD a forced sale come to front, a retro-mod would be interesting with this car....as many things working against you compared to what would be working for you....this would have to have a significant PERSONAL value to go all out on per my take.   Other than the shark nose the car is pretty much common run of the mill nondescript vehicle.

do yourself a favor and peruse the e-bay and other venues of parts and see what is available and at what cost prior to any serious commitment...

A convertible or a coupe maybe but sedan not so much.  There is a 39 coupe street rod around here but don't think much of it other than body is original pieces.  There is also aguy who has had his 40 sedan for sale for years at a very reasonable price with no takers.

The coupe shows up when you do an image search green and gold nice looking car.  There was a 39  or 40 Nash convertible featured on the Fantom Works TV show last year or year before.  Spent lots of $$$$ and had a hell of a time finding brake parts, shocks and other consumeable pieces.

Thanks for everyone's input. When I looked at the car I thought it had a cool looking front grille, but its overall condition is quite poor. Being that it is a 4 door sedan, I kinda figured that it was not so desirable. And looking at its interior, LOTS of things were missing. I think I will pass on it, but I do hope someone rescues it. 

I have run across another vintage car just down the road from me - its a 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. It was advertised for sale on Craigslist. The seller stated that it was all original, and runs and drives. And from the photos it didn't look half bad. Boy, I would love to have it, but dang it, I got way too many vehicles now.......wouldn't have anywhere to put it.......maybe that additional garage is on the horizon????  Later, Blue.

Seems you have gotten the old car addiction virus.

CDC says it seems to gather bigger numbers in the spring ( or hope of it soon to come) for some reason?? Taking to your wife about another old car is the only known cure!

?

DJ

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 6:25 PM, Cold Blue said:

Thanks for everyone's input. When I looked at the car I thought it had a cool looking front grille, but its overall condition is quite poor. Being that it is a 4 door sedan, I kinda figured that it was not so desirable. And looking at its interior, LOTS of things were missing. I think I will pass on it, but I do hope someone rescues it. 

I have run across another vintage car just down the road from me - its a 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. It was advertised for sale on Craigslist. The seller stated that it was all original, and runs and drives. And from the photos it didn't look half bad. Boy, I would love to have it, but dang it, I got way too many vehicles now.......wouldn't have anywhere to put it.......maybe that additional garage is on the horizon????  Later, Blue.

Oh yeah, you've got it bad..... the 'need' for yet another old car, and the only thing holding you back from getting one is lack of space. Yes, this is common. An additional garage is definitely in your future, or, at least, a rental garage. I know, I've been there and done that. ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...