Clutch alignment

Ashleyschaeffer

Just finished putting my motor back in and hooking everything back up. When I put the clutch back on I didn’t use an alignment tool just eye balled it. Trans does not want to slide all the way back in. Should I loosen my clutch around the imput shaft and slide the trans in? Any other ways?

• Like 1

Hold it  the trans in place with long headless bolts aligning all the holes. The throwout bearing should be in place on the bearing retainer before the shaft enters the pilot bushing.  Have a helper depress the clutch, (or rig a way to hold it disengaged if no helper).  While disengaged you should be able to wiggle it in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pos will not slide in, I could have had the motor out and back in 5 more times what it is taking me to put this trans in. Can only use two headless bolts as others are hitting the housing. It's close enough to spin the clutch with the trans in gear.

Edited by Ashleyschaeffer

I leave the trans in gear and rotate the e-brake drum back and forth while pushing the trans into the disc... 

You can feel the input shaft sync up with the clutch disc and then they usually always go right in... don't pull it in with bolts!

• Like 1

You will probably find that the gears on the clutch plate and input shaft of the gearbox are aligning and not meshing, a wiggle of the gearbox or as others have suggested, push the clutch pedal in to release the clutch plate so it can move and mesh into the input shaft.

Great!

I was there last year with my '38 clutch. trying miniscule changes, trying to get the clutch to align, thinking it will never go (wasting a lot of time). Engaged the clutch and not long after she just slid in.