Vacuum Advance Unit for my 48 Plymouth

Cold Blue

Opinions needed! I have to get a new vacuum advance for my 48. The old one is toast. I have two options. 1) Buy an NOS vacuum advance off Ebay for not much $$$; or 2) Send my old one off to Andy Bernbaum's to get it reconditioned for much more $$$. I am leaning towards Option 2 because I feel that the diaphragm in a NOS unit, although never used, but being 70 years old, may be prone to premature failure. What do you guys think?  Thanks! Blue. 

I am constantly amazed by the amount of people that buy and install 70 year old nos parts that are prone to failure.

Do not install nos rubber item such as...fuel pump, vacuum advance, fuel lines. brake lines. Brake shoes are an nos no no....I have a real nice collection of nos parts, sitting on a display shelf where they belong.

Did you know that some of those nos parts were factory seconds sold to the dealer for cheap.

I'd use nos points,ign switch, genny, voltage reg, gages and dizzy all of these are superior to the chinese parts flooding the market.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good solid advice everyone. Frank hit the nail on the head - 70 year old rubber is just that - really old rubber. Woodrow - in looking at the Web sites, this is what I find - prices for NOS are in the $30 to $60 dollar range. Andy will rebuild your unit for $75 - you have to send in your unit or pay a $30 core charge. Kanter charges $106 to rebuild your core, with no option for a core charge. I was going to use Andy...... But a $30 dollar difference in price ain't gonna send me to the Poor House. The old adage of "You get what you pay for" generally holds true; I am quite willing to pay more for quality. Merle says Kanter's units are "good stuff". I like that.  Again, thanks everyone!!! Blue.

:wacko:Some of the rebuilt VA's have an ugly re-crimp on the housing...

Me and Tammy Faye Baker are praying for you...with her  godly help the crimp will be REAL nice?

• Haha 3