Front Shocks

Doug&Deb

most use a Monroe 5752....very much available and if Monroe is not what preference, easily cross referenced......OR you can pay 5 times the price from so called vintage suppliers for non named shock......the application and sources are all over the internet if you need other names and suppliers

personally I would not suggest stock shock mounts as they do not really do anything to dampen the suspension....I would recommend top mount affixed to the frame and not the upper A arm

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Doug...........this thread........."Front Shock Relocation Pics" that I started on Feb 13th may help you as I also used Munro shocks but a different part number..................the front suspension is the same basic design on Plymouth & Dodge up to 1954 and I think the front shocks used are the same consequently...............Andy Douglas

Edited by Andydodge

I plan to make the shock mount frame modification, but haven't yet.  If I understand the mechanics of it, the original shock configuration allowed for more front end movement, which made for a smoother ride on the rough road conditions of that time period, but because it allowed the suspension to move more freely, there was also poorer cornering performance at higher speeds.  Put another way, the modification (again, as I understand suspension technology - other may feel free to comment or correct me) creates a stiffer suspension, so better control on typical road conditions today (but poorer ride on rough roads).

studying the geometry of the inner connecting points of the upper and lower a-arms, and also that the outer points of the upper and lower a-arm connect to the knuckle...when flexed...these pivot points are locked together and the a-arms really do not have any significant movement and stay mostly parallel when compressed/decompressed per movement hitting bumps.....the shock ties these yet again in a fixed parallel position, granted the unequal a-arm lengths do allow for some shock compression/extension.  Removing the shock to the frame now will allow greater dampening movement of the shock internal piston....remember dampening is two fold....at the highway speeds today these fixed position shocks will make your car feel like a boat riding on water...move them to dampen the chassis to the suspension, you get true dampening from the added  travel length...a more stabilized ride and when lane changing you will not be rocking the boat....the advancement is suspension control and feel is such that you will never see this arrangement on a modern vehicle as it is not as effective.  

Actually the shock that I used on the relocation, Munro with these numbers PK14 and 1009 had been used by a mate on his 48 Plymouth with the stock shock upper mount and when we were measuring everything prior to the relocation we found that these Munro shocks offered the best expanded and compressed lengths, 12.5 and 8.5 inches respectively and would be suitable to use on the relocated upper mounts, whilst these shocks had been used previously they were in good condition and I just cleaned and repainted them...........they were equally suitable to use on the original upper mount on my car a 1940 Dodge(or Plymouth ).........so far the relocation seems to be working fine, although I must admit that I haven't really noticed any significant difference in handling...........andyd

• Thanks 1