1940 P9 Front Turn signal light assembly ideas

Joeys41

Ok ladies and gents, Looking for ideas as to what to use for turn signal lights on my 40 business coupe. I don't have any on mine and have already wired the rear and now want to find something that looks somewhat period correct, somewhat, not exactly for the front....So please let me know what YOU used and how you installed them. Pics would be great here as well. Thanks

many of the turn signal assemblies of that era for ma mopar (big three sisters) were long slender but yet with eye appeal fender top mounted assemblies.  They were pretty much in use through 1941.  These while correct and attractive are often at a bit of a price also, deep pockets for nice unit is required.   You have to make the call if staying in line with design or break out and do a body mod to incorporate something else.  Some have even mounted yellow lens fog light specifically to use as turn indicators effective and less invasive.  Personally I think they a bit large for application and another alternative to investigate is stem mounted early motor cycle turns signals...they cheap , effective, nice state of dress and of the right size to be seen in use and not seen so much when mounted.   

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You can also modify your parking lights by removing the single pigtail insert and replacing it with new dual lead pig tails.  These are commonly available in auto parts Stores.  Then change the bulbs to double filimant and wire the bright one to your signal leads and the dim ones back to the factory harness. If you can't find the pictails you can buy the sockets and pull the pigtails an swap thenm into your sockets.

https://www.ebay.com/i/120839141384?chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F120839141384%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D120839141384%26targetid%3D595232346629%26device%3Dt%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9005090%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1689945004%26adgroupid%3D69559042047%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-595232346629%26abcId%3D1140466%26merchantid%3D101499671%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMItdP8gYOR4QIVisDICh3o-gYmEAkYCiABEgLF9fD_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1903092960071%26rvr_ts%3D9bb314531690ad4ce70055c9fffd1f06

If your sockets are rusted beyond use or you can't address them that way, check your local motorcycle shops for new or used signal amps.  These can be mounted to your spash pan bumper brackets or behind the grill to be effective and non intrusive to the cars look.

Thank you for the replies. Mr. Adams would you have any photographs of what you're talkin about as far as the top of the fender mounted signals? And I do like your idea as well Greg. Just weighing my options right now but thanks again

2 hours ago, greg g said:

You can also modify your parking lights 

I have the 41 Dodge and the parking lights are as the P9 and is incorporated into the bezel of the headlight....with headlights on these are not in my opinion extremely visible and why I feel the factory on installation of turn signal utilized the higher and widened mounted assemblies on the bigger sisters...but then, that is just my view....

I put dual filament sockets in and used a small dual filament bulb from the motorcycle dealer, can't remember the bulb number offhand but I can look it up. Bulbs weren't cheap but everything looks stock when done. I showed how I did it on my build thread but can't remember where. *Edit* found it on my build thread page 10..

Edited by 40plyrod

if  you choose to swap your socket to a dual filament and use the original parking light lens....I still stress that night vision may be lacking.   If however you do go this route rest assure there are 12 volt 30/1w  bulbs in 1157 and 6 volt 1154  50/10w available.  Do ensure your indicator will be visible when the headlight is on...

I'm looking at the fender mounted lights for my 40 Chrysler. Just search on Google for 1940 Chrysler and look at the images tab. They may not suit your Plymouth, so the twin filament option is a good idea. I'd change to LED bulbs to make sure they're bright.

Rick

Hi Greg,

I'm using my fog lights as turn signals. I can use them as turn signals whether the fog lights are on or off. I'm using the Electro-Tech unit. Not cheap, but it works well. Just switch the wire that used to go from your fog light switch to the fog lights to go to the front parking lights terminal on the Electro-Tech unit. Use your fog light switch to turn the fog lights on or off as you normally would. Here is their website:

http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

Here's a pic:

Pete

2937i.jpg

My Dodge has been converted to 12 volts. I use the fog bulbs for turn signals and installed switched LED round angel eyes inside the fogs to use as daytimer running lights.