Distributor Advice

Cold Blue

I have the distributor out on the work bench, replacing the missing wire between the insulated port and the points. On a previous post, I found out that the wire to the points was jury-rigged by a previous owner and did not use the insulated port, but simply drilled a hole in the side of the distributor cap to connect the wire from the coil to the points! And a ground wire was connected to the insulated port, with did absolutely nothing. The internal port wire was missing entirely.

I have installed a new internal port wire with a terminal at one end (soldered) and because of the very limited space available at the insulated port screw, I tinned the wire end and formed it into a hook, and looped it around the internal insulated port screw.  I have checked continuity, and everything is hunky-dory. I checked the vacuum advance unit, and it's shot. This is my question - with a new vacuum advance operating the breaker plate, I worry that continuous flexing will eventually break my new wire at the insulated port screw. I imagine that the factory original connection was probably an insulated braided wire of some sort?  I am open to any suggestion as to what I should use.  I will buy a factory wire if I could only find one..I have not been successful in that endeavor. (The blue wire just above the condenser lead is the wire in question)...I have included a photo of how the dizzy was wired previously. The red wire was connected to the negative terminal of the battery. Thanks so much!  Blue.

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

7 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

What’s your distributor number? Some of the guys here have Autolite catalogs that can get you the correct part number for that wire. With that you can do some more refined searching. 

Auto-lite Part #1120566; Auto-lite No. IGS-4207-1; Serial No. 7C135409.

49 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

Auto-lite Part #1120566; Auto-lite No. IGS-4207-1; Serial No. 7C135409.

I would also love to have the part number for the port rubber insulator.  Mine is hard and brittle - one inside tab is broken already, as you can see in the photo.

OK for the dizzy that you have the wires are numbers as Autolite Primary Lead   IGS-181  or for Echlin LW6  Ground Lead Autolite  IAT-14  Echlin LW1  these were all used in the Plymouth from 1940- 49

Richard hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I do see these rubber insulators on ebay and have been sold by Frank Mitchell

Try this on ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-MB-Ford-GPW-A1660-Ignition-Autolite-Distributor-IGC-Rubber-Grommet-G503

cost is $5 this might be what you are looking for.

rich hartung

Edited by desoto1939

27 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I do see these rubber insulators on ebay and have been sold by Frank Mitchell

Try this on ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-MB-Ford-GPW-A1660-Ignition-Autolite-Distributor-IGC-Rubber-Grommet-G503

cost is $5 this might be what you are looking for.

rich hartung

Thanks Rich! Exactly what I am looking for!