Gas Pedal Install - 1947 Dodge

saiers

I have a 1947 Dodge and I'm trying to install the gas pedal. It's old and original but in nice shape. The problem I'm having is getting the ball-end to pop into the holes (Two posts on the floor and one to the linkage through the firewall).. it seems too tight and I'm wondering if perhaps the rubber is just too aged, or if there is a trick to it?

1 hour ago, vintage6t said:

I'd try a little lube like wd40 or even soak the pedal in hot water to soften it and then  a little dish soap as lube when installing.

Don't know about WD40 as petroleum products and old natural rubber are often not a good combination. But I agree that warming it up in warm or hot water and using some soap as a lubricant should work.

Silicone spray lube won't affect the rubber, is just as slick, if not slicker, than petroleum products, and cleans off easily once you're done, if you so choose.  It won't restore old rubber, but it will help protect new rubber.