Before I purchase this...can I get any insight...

I did not mean to scare you but only to let you know it can happen.  2000 mile round trip is quite the hump for an unknown.....plenty of areas there to disappoint as many point out this and that.  I am thinking there may be one a bit closer....while it may not be modern engine and 5 speed, you yourself usually can add this at lot less cost if you have any fabrication skills and willing to study a bit on the EFI....it only appears intimidating...once you know the principles, not at all a problem to swap and maintain these systems.  After all, these engines still need compression fuel oxygen and ignition in right ratio....the EFI is such it keeps this at 14.1 across the RPM and load spectrum and delivers your ignition at greater accuracy due to timing control also.....understand that, how each sensor works and how to test it, know what is working in closed and open loop....55 dollar scan tool will walk you through this with no problem. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Ironwood, MI is about 225 miles north of me. (3-1/2 to 4 hour drive) I don't know of any other active members that are any closer.

@Mikec4193 Are you on the Facebook Pilot-House group? I believe there are some members on there that are up in northern Wisconsin. Eagle River, or Ashland area. They would be a little closer to go have a look for you, if they would be willing.

Merle he posted this on the FB group as well. I'll be in the Hancock/Houghton area in July and could check it out then, but you are def closer.

Yeah, my last retrieval was listed in the ad to be just west of the loop central Atlanta by the ad.....the car was however was stored a bit further up the road north east of A-town and a bit off the loop which added a bit more driving time.   Was not a drastic change but put me in lot more traffic...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Don't want to hijack this thread … A couple of points that may be worth mentioning . Should you decide to buy this truck and require a trailer...  With the experience I had in the past renting poorly serviced U Haul trailers, I wouldn't recommend them. I have my own trailer that I have confidence in, it is fully serviced and ready to go. Also as an aside, suggest you pick your travel route in advance.... Probably 12 years has passed since I drove through Salt Lake City, Utah pulling my car hauler on my way down to California to pick up a vehicle. The multiple lane traffic headed south on I15 through SLC was heavy and while I was travelling the posted speed, vehicles started passing me … not being one to hold up traffic I sped up reducing the normal comfortable buffer zone between me and the brake lights of the vehicle ahead . On the return trip with the loaded trailer, I chose a route with lighter traffic around Salt Lake City and headed north on I215...My thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Redoing someone else's work is more expensive than starting from "scratch" yourself......

If its not running, looks cobbled together and has (what I call ) untested upgrades....

Look into starting from scratch yourself and see where the cost falls.

Dakota frame engine

A non running 51-53 truck with 90% of parts

The ability to bring it together ( tools, funds or both)

It'll be a matter of which truck wins....a truck with a multitude of problems and unknowns...

Or carefully bringing together a proven design that you would happy to drive your family around in. 

A truck like this one might require a multiple of shake downs, tear downs and....(hoping against) breakdowns. 

This truck (based on parts alone) might be worth 4500, if you can put it through the paces and prove its safe for family.

Otherwise.....its an expensive parts truck.  

48D

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

Redoing someone else's work is more expensive than starting from "scratch" yourself......

If its not running, looks cobbled together and has (what I call ) untested upgrades....

Look into starting from scratch yourself and see where the cost falls.

Dakota frame engine

A non running 51-53 truck with 90% of parts

The ability to bring it together ( tools, funds or both)

It'll be a matter of which truck wins....a truck with a multitude of problems and unknowns...

Or carefully bringing together a proven design that you would happy to drive your family around in. 

A truck like this one might require a multiple of shake downs, tear downs and....(hoping against) breakdowns. 

This truck (based on parts alone) might be worth 4500, if you can put it through the paces and prove its safe for family.

Otherwise.....its an expensive parts truck.  

48D

I cannot say from personal experience, but you often hear people say that it's cheaper to buy someone else's restoration than to do your own, but I suspect that 48D is correct in respect to a modified vehicle like this.  (That pipe shifter doesn't say anything good for me, nor the wheelbase discrepancy.  But I've never built a custom myself, so I am not one to be critical of another's work.)  One thing I HAVE thought about a good deal is how to make sure the front clip is properly positioned after a frame clip or frame substitution, and I think that before I removed the body from the stock frame, I would weld up (or securely bolt together) a framework that could be mounted to the firewall to get the radiator support in exactly the right place.  (I am assuming that the front of the fenders are connected to the frame via the radiator support, as it is on the P15s, and most vehicles of this vintage that I have looked at.)

The other thing I often see in vehicle ads is a car that has what appears to be a really nice paint job, but rusted out floors, inner rocker panels, body to frame supports, etc.  It just makes a person wonder what is hiding under all of that nice paint. 

Wow...you guys are awesome...I think I need to maybe just take my time and see what pops up this spring...this old truck may need a little TLC and that's it or it may end up being pull everything out and start over...

With a set of Mopar eys on it to point things out...that would be definitely beneficial to my wallet for sure...

Only time will tell...

MikeC

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I cannot say from personal experience, but you often hear people say that it's cheaper to buy someone else's restoration than to do your own, but I suspect that 48D is correct in respect to a modified vehicle like this.  (That pipe shifter doesn't say anything good for me, nor the wheelbase discrepancy.  But I've never built a custom myself, so I am not one to be critical of another's work.)  One thing I HAVE thought about a good deal is how to make sure the front clip is properly positioned after a frame clip or frame substitution, and I think that before I removed the body from the stock frame, I would weld up (or securely bolt together) a framework that could be mounted to the firewall to get the radiator support in exactly the right place.  (I am assuming that the front of the fenders are connected to the frame via the radiator support, as it is on the P15s, and most vehicles of this vintage that I have looked at.)

The other thing I often see in vehicle ads is a car that has what appears to be a really nice paint job, but rusted out floors, inner rocker panels, body to frame supports, etc.  It just makes a person wonder what is hiding under all of that nice paint. 

I will not buy another started by someone else project again...………..It is by far easier and less mental aggravation to just start from a dilapidated wreck....at least you know what you got and HOW IT WAS REPAIRED before the paint went on....I was lied to on every turn about what and how of the build...I HAD, not just wanted, but had to remove and re-work everything.    

• Like 1

When I commented the first time, I was focused on the detail shots, engine compartment and interior.  Never noticed the obvious wheel to wheel well relationship.  I would ask one question:  is it on the original frame.  If not, I'd pass.  That's just me as frame swaps can be difficult to pull off well.

As to purchasing projects.  Depends on the definition of 'project' and percentage of completion.  I'd shy away from anything with finished paint.  Or even an all over prime job.  The potential of hiding major issues is just too good.  Now, someones 'pile of parts' that they never got around to assembling is something else.

The pictures aren’t the best quality for zooming in, but it appears the riveted attaching points for the front fenders may have been rusted out. It looks like a very fast coating of body filler to cover the hole then quickly painted to cover up the quick fix. 

The passenger door does not align properly with the cab or front fender. 

It appears there is a piece of diamond plate welded to the top front of the running boards. 

The rear passenger fender has been welded to the bed side.

There are other body problems, but the big ones I mentioned point to the fact that the repairs were done haphazardly, and not much if any thought of quality workmanship. 

I would be worried about how the mechanical modifications were thrown together. 

more and more being pointed out.....some of these can be explained as running repairs to keep the vehicle in use over the years.....understandable running fixes albeit they may have been done very cheaply as the repair was for extending the use of the truck not so much rebuild of anything.   IF this was done as a cured but quick fix just for purpose of whiz bang togetherness...would shy away as this speaks volumes in what is or is not an acceptable shortcut.  Shortcuts in a build is a definite sign of alarm.  I would not entertain this truck now if delivered to the house.

2 hours ago, Mikec4193 said:

Wow...you guys are awesome...I think I need to maybe just take my time and see what pops up this spring...this old truck may need a little TLC and that's it or it may end up being pull everything out and start over...

With a set of Mopar eys on it to point things out...that would be definitely beneficial to my wallet for sure...

Only time will tell...

MikeC

Mike....let someone else buy that mess, don't wear these.....

crackedrosecoloredglasses-1h6pu58-2j28mu

You'll find a better truck if you are patient.

• Like 1

I’d gladly pay $2000 for that truck- it’s probably worth $3500. If you can re-hang a suspension a few inches rearward on a frame and troubleshoot somewhat home made efi then it could be a really charming truck for under 5k. If not then it is a dangerous can of worms unless you are willing to leave it as is. Also like was hinted at above nobody makes a lot of the stuff for these trucks so a few grand extra for one thats mostly complete is way worth it. 

If $4500 plus another G for transport, title, maintainance items is in the budget maybe you can find a nicer truck closer for not much more?

6 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

I’d gladly pay $2000 for that truck- it’s probably worth $3500. If you can re-hang a suspension a few inches rearward on a frame and troubleshoot somewhat home made efi then it could be a really charming truck for under 5k. If not then it is a dangerous can of worms unless you are willing to leave it as is. Also like was hinted at above nobody makes a lot of the stuff for these trucks so a few grand extra for one thats mostly complete is way worth it. 

If $4500 plus another G for transport, title, maintainance items is in the budget maybe you can find a nicer truck closer for not much more?

Hi Radarsonwheels

I was thinking about the same thing too...the front wheels don't even look right either when you study those pictures...he did tell me that one of the rear tires rubs on the inside of the box..

MikeC