Steering Gear Box Lube

Roger1

The problem with mopar and other steering boxes is that the pitman shaft seal wears and then the lube seeps out........Penrite Steering Box Lube is a heavy weight oil that is specifically made for our type of steering boxes......grease if used is basically pushed from one area to another by the action of the worm & rollers and cannot "flow" back to where it is needed whereas an "oil" can flow...........I used the Penrite stuff in my 41 Plymouth Coupes steering box and there was a noticeable improvement..............the Pentite Steering Box Lube I have says "Made in Canada" so it should be available I'd think, in the USA...........I'd be hesitant about using a heavy gear or diff oil as the steering boxes use bronze or brass based bushings on the pitman shaft and I think that gear and diff oils are not recommended to be used where brass or bronze is used.......not 100% sure but check anyway..........But I'd fix the seal at least as even the Penrite oil would seep out if the seals R/s.............andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

Or use NGLI # 00 grease... AKA penrite or Corn Head grease.... use it if you are lazy and don't want to fix the steering gear seal leak.

This viscosity grease flows and will lube the worm and sector.

The Penrite lube I have says made in Canada but packed in Australia........I would have thought that it would have been readily available in North America......andyd