Rusty hope brake conversion

bergy

Hello ,

To everyone once again.Im still trying to reengineer Rusty Hopes brake conversion kit. When I addressed this situation-which was that the spindles were too short to properly install the cotter pin in the castle nut on the spindle.Ive finally decided to consult a machine shop on shortening the rotor hub and recutting the bearing cup to give me more spindle thread length. I’ve talked to other members using his kit and they have no issues-so I guess my B4 is an odd ball. If I follow thru on this endeavor I will post on the out come.If anyone has this situation  on their pilot house trucks- let me know how they addressed this problem.Thanks

How much deeper you taking about? A small amount should be no problem but more?

I had one done that needed about 1/8" which was about the edge of safe. Not a mopar so.. I cannot really say after your needed modifications.

DJ

Sitting here thinking of your issue, the question that comes to mind is this.  Have you verified that the rotor when positioned and nutted to the spindle will allow the centering of the disc within the caliper when it is bolted to the adapter plate?  Verify with loaded caliper.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I did this conversion on my 53 B4C. I had to put the castle nuts on backwards (per the instructions) to be able to get the cotter pin in. The stock nuts only had three slots which didn't leave much thread engagement. I bought new castle nuts that had a lot more slots to increase the thread engagement--still on backwards.

• 4 weeks later...