Ruined.........48 D-24

Frank Elder

I like all the chrome on these year's and always have. The painted over chrome has never been a favorite of mine. I "get it", I understand why it is done sometimes, its just not my cup of tea. This particular model / body style / year group, with all the chrome, has always been a favorite for me, so, shine it up, chrome it up, whitewall it up, and go have fun w/it. ?

3 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

I like all the chrome on these year's and always have. The painted over chrome has never been a favorite of mine. I "get it", I understand why it is done sometimes, its just not my cup of tea. This particular model / body style / year group, with all the chrome, has always been a favorite for me, so, shine it up, chrome it up, whitewall it up, and go have fun w/it. ?

I mentioned earlier that I liked both, for different reasons.  You sort of touched on the big one.  I also like the chrome.  But, if it were mine and the chrome was in bad shape I'd opt for the monochromatic paint.  I just think it looks better than bad chrome.  And it's just too expensive to rechrome that many pieces at todays' prices.

Good chrome?  Shine  it and show it!

Edited by kencombs

I  mentioned this in a PM to Frank...painted trim of body color will not adequately reveal the body lines.  I stated also that chrome will eat your wallet like a snicky snack.  However, I am a firm believer that IF YOU MUST paint the trim, chose a complimenting/contrasting color to again, define the body lines.  The WWII blackout cars were such vehicles and were tastefully done then and is can easily be mimicked today...also...most chrome shops will tell you that painting it will help seal the pieces against some further deterioration and prefer this over some amateur restore.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams