1936 Desoto Airflow engine

1940Century

Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative for an engine swap on this Airflow.

Head is cracked and 2 spark plug holes are stripped? Engine is froze up. Hoping to find an alternative. I'm told that 36 to 54 Mopar engine blocks were all the same??

I am ok with getting a different motor installed if one can be sourced, any info would be appreciated?

For flat head sixes, Chrysler made 25 inch long for Chrysler and deSoto, and 23 1/2 long for Dodge and Plymouth.  Measure the head length and narrow down your choices.  The shorter ones can be fitted but if you want a bolt in you need to grab the correct length.

Chrysler used a 241 engine  3 3/8 bore from 34 to 37.  It is identified by the visible cylinder casting either side of the distributor.

It is significantly different from the more popular block used from 38 onward which also included a 241.  The engines do not interchange 

well.  Be careful.

Thanks for your response,

So the larger block engines,  25"  long are not all the interchangeable. That was my understanding?

But I am not very familiar with those engines. Trying to find an alternative the the original 36 Desoto airflow engine as the heads are very hard to come by.

Someone in the Airflow club was making repo heads but they are extremely expensive? I have been told that there was a lot of engine exchanges in those early years??

as I said above, Chrysler cars used a 241 engine between 34 and 37 which can be identified by  visible cylinder castings. It had a 3 3/8 bore and a 4 1/2 stroke.

The more popular engine used by Chrysler Desoto, Dodge trucks and all Canadian products first appeared in 38 and was in production up until about 1972.  Its cubic capacity varied with its application but included 218, 228, 236, 241, 251, and 265.  The only parts it shares with the 34 to 37 engines are the pistons. This engine was developed from the 23 inch engine introduced in 35 for Dodge and Plymouth and like that engine had full length water jackets. It is often referred to as a 25 inch engine as measured along the cylinder head.

While all these engines will bolt to the bell housings of the day, it is not possible without some major machine work to fit a starter to the bell housings used on the engines without full length water jackets.  These housings allow the starter to sit closer to the block.  The addition of full length water jackets made it necessary to move the starter outward which presumably required a larger diameter flywheel as well.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:10 PM, 1940Century said:

Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative for an engine swap on this Airflow.

Head is cracked and 2 spark plug holes are stripped? Engine is froze up. Hoping to find an alternative. I'm told that 36 to 54 Mopar engine blocks were all the same??

I am ok with getting a different motor installed if one can be sourced, any info would be appreciated?

1940 Century: first are you a member of the National Desoto Club? If not then I would suggest that you join them. They have year tech advsiors. The 1936 Airflow contact is Robert Schofield  and lives in Eire PA 814-456-8332    des36airflow@aol.com.

Tell him that you gor his name from Rich Hartung that owns a 1939 Desoto and that I am also a member of the NDC..  Rob might beable to get you a contact that might have what you need

Also the other contacts are 1934 Charles Cochran  34 Desoto only had airflows that year  317 825-3090  ccochran1@sbcglobal.net

1935 Dennis Pitchford   airflow  408-559- 7977  de36airflow@aol.com

Hope this helps with your issue.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

On 3/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, 1940Century said:

So the block in the 1936 Airflow has an outer jacket on the drivers side, no cylinder castings and smooth with freeze plugs,  and is 24.5" as measured on the head.

So is that the same block as the later years?

could be.   I would follow Mr Hartung's advice.  Maybe someone has already updated your engine which should have an engine number above the generator which will identify it.

I am afraid I have no more ideas to offer.

There are some differences because of the unique design of the 1936 DeSoto Airflow Body. Forum member, "Austinsailor", has a 1936 DeSoto Airflow . S1 is the 1936 DeSoto "Airstream", S2 is the 1936 DeSoto Airflow...

216481812_1936DeSoto(S1).png.4e7b30449ac209bc9b47973ab6ac8975.png1572270566_1936DeSoto(S2).png.c5e4193c35402097fa9acf3714adb7a7.png

• 1 year later...