Did a 39 Plymouth use spacers with front coil springs

Richard Cope

Hi,

I have an upcoming project in the next few weeks, going to be changing the front coil springs, tie rods on my 39 Plymouth Business Coupe.  Does anyone know if the 39 Ply. used spacers on top of the springs and if so where they used on both sides?  Not sure what is on the car now, however have two NOS if needed.   Plan to get the new springs from Eaton Springs.  Don't believe my current springs are correct, the car sits 2.5 to 3 inches higher in the front than in the rear.  With  20 lbs. on the front bumper and the front will drop to the correct height, however an additional 200 lbs. will not bring it any lower, spring seems to bottom.  Passengers have no effect on front height.  At first, thought perhaps the shocks are too long, remove the shock and no difference was seen with additional weight added to the bumper.  Last summer replaced the rear springs from Eaton Spring, the rear height did not change.  The car is currently about 175 pounds heavier than stock for an overdrive unit was added, however its weight is in the center of the car.  

Thank everyone in advance for your help / comments

Regards,  Richard

The part number is 657770 which is the metal spring spacer.  According to my 1939 Desoto parts book this number is also referenced in my 1929-39 Plymouth catalog.  Note that on the desoto the metal spacers was ONLY used on the driver side bottom of the coil spring and not used on the passenger side spring and the quantitiy is marked as one

According to my Ply catalog:

Front Spring spacer

P7 used only on drivers side

P8 for drivers or PAssengers side of car.

same part number 657770   So the P8 could use on both side but the p7 used only on drivers side.  No explanation as to why but the master parts book tells the location and part number

rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

From my experience spaces on the front spring (s) are only used to correct weak springs and/or a heavy load on one side.. ie: an extremely heavy driver and/or passenger..

According to my desoto books and other mopa cross reference books it shows these metal rings to be installed when the car was originally produced on the assembly line and not after the car was sent to the dealer.  Also note that they were used only on the driver side lower on the Desoto and chrylser and not on the passenger side of the coil spring and according to my 1929-1939 Plymouth master catalog it states the information that I published in the prior posting to answer the gentlemans question.

Blucarsdn since you have the 39 Plymouth P8 model then there should be the metal plate on the bottom of the front coil springs.

Rich Hartung

Rich,

Many thanks for all of your research.  You mentioned that the spacers would go on the bottom of the springs.   Early 39 Plymouths had forged lower control arms and later models used stamped steel much like cars of today.  My particular car has stamped ones and the bottom of the control arms are formed in a curved fashion to accept the curved end of the spring.  Therefore to use spacers they would have to go on the top (flat) end of the spring that goes into the frame pocket.  Did your research show any of the spacers being placed on top of the spring?

Appreciate your help.  

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Cope said:

Rich,

Many thanks for all of your research.  You mentioned that the spacers would go on the bottom of the springs.   Early 39 Plymouths had forged lower control arms and later models used stamped steel much like cars of today.  My particular car has stamped ones and the bottom of the control arms are formed in a curved fashion to accept the curved end of the spring.  Therefore to use spacers they would have to go on the top (flat) end of the spring that goes into the frame pocket.  Did your research show any of the spacers being placed on top of the spring?

Appreciate your help.  

Richard

I looked at my 39 Desoto parts manual and the picture that I have only shows the metal spacer ring at the bottom of the spring not at the top.  These ae metal circles approx. 4-5 inches round and about 1/4 inch thick. I have a couple and I am trying to look for themto post a picture. It looks as if the  bottomof the spring needed to have a plate to hold the coilspring in place and to support the coil also odd that this is only on the driver side and not the passenger side  Maybe had something to do with the weight distribution and geometry of the engine and frame because of the steering sector. I do not have a complete answer but only the info from my parts book.

Rich Hartung