Solving unusual little problems with my '51 B3B is a saga for the ages. The latest has to do with the thermostat housing. On one hand, the correct housing for the '48 - '50 trucks has all the proper dimensions to fit my '51 properly, except it has a water bypass tube which is incorrect for my '51 (which has the internal bypass). On the other hand, I bought a brand new housing (the one on the right) that was supposed to be the answer, but it isn't for two reasons:

Reason Number One: The new one doesn't point at the radiator and it causes a solid hose to kink badly. I've tried.

Reason Number Two: Even worse, the outlet on the new housing is 1/8 inch wider than it should be. It does not match the radiator inlet. Both should have a 1.75 inch outside diameter. 

I've searched the internet for a part that looks like it will fit correctly but I have come up empty. So, unless someone on the forum has discovered the perfect solution, I'm going to have to fabricate a housing from scratch that actually fits properly including a tube that points in the right direction. I just wonder where all the original housings have gone. I've never even seen one.

20190311_081246_1552310112090_resized.jpg.33f3f58a039ca761495b74bc0934dd5c.jpg20190311_065503_1552310117682_resized.jpg.4b5ee04bb9ae71fbf7155e1ab52e5bb7.jpg20190311_065538_1552310114936_resized.jpg.bc252edc01c616eb5906680fd97f07f5.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

I've seen the new castings on ebay and they look good except for one thing. Those castings don't have a 45 degree bend in the outlet so that a stock hose can be installed. I contacted the seller and asked for a photo with the new casting and hose actually installed on a vehicle so I can see how well it all fits together. Probably never get an answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I believe you did not scroll down enough to view the flathead angled housing with by-pass...the straight early cast iron are early V8 units....

for the man who needs housing, thermostat, pump, by-pass hose and heater tube, in other words the entire package deal, it is available also....cost is a bit, but it is available...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermostat-Housing-for-1951-1956-Plymouth-Dodge-6-Cylinder-cars-Trucks/182445320542?hash=item2a7a96a95e:g:IJAAAOSwxphbGFkR

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Please note, I post this as the man says that his internet search came back with nothing.....I still state, while you may not like the source, e-bay often will show if or if not available...where you shop and buy is another aspect altogether...I still hit e-bay if for nothing else but to see WHAT IS OUT THERE...

My '51 doesn't use a bypass hose. I don't have a problem with eBay. I've used them quite a few times. What I meant by saying my searches came back empty is that they came back without a solution that I trust would work correctly.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

thanks Merle, as he pictured the angle cast iron unit with water hose port in his picture I mistakenly thought this was the unit he was looking for.....I knew  these were available...

this is where a v-notch and a good weld comes in very handy or secondly I would ask to walk though the preformed hose for the right diameter with the proper angle to make a quick and easy transit ion and just clamp it on, record the number for prosperity, but then I am not into points for originality...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Merle,

You got it! I posted the photo of the housing WITH the bypass just to show how well it would fit on my '51 (if only it didn't have the bypass port). Maybe I could have been clearer in my explanation. Thanks to you and Plymouthy for your responses. Much appreciated!

it would appear Mr. JB Neal is on a well deserved vacation so, on his behalf.

additional information :cool:    :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Try this catalog:

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf

Around page 117 or so is where the 1.75" molded hoses start. Double check your fitting OD against the id listings.  Surely one of these has the size and bend you need.  Have your local parts guy order that number and cut to length.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Try this catalog:

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf

Around page 117 or so is where the 1.75" molded hoses start. Double check your fitting OD against the id listings.  Surely one of these has the size and bend you need.  Have your local parts guy order that number and cut to length.

that was what I was explaining above IF you are not 100% concerned for judging points etc....except...my local friendly will allow me to match a hose from the selection hanging in the back of the store......you may be able to visit your local store stock by explaining the need for matching...

41 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that was what I was explaining above IF you are not 100% concerned for judging points etc....except...my local friendly will allow me to match a hose from the selection hanging in the back of the store......you may be able to visit your local store stock by explaining the need for matching...

Matching works, but knowing the numbers that are the right ID and near the length can shorten the search.  Most stores stock in number sequence so he may be able to walk right to it.  And, it it's not in stock, you can know what to order in.

Edited by kencombs
  • Thanks 1

here at the house I save all hoses off old cars and keep them around....they are so easy to use to mock up a length and shape by use of duct tape to mimic what you need....this process has made things very easy for me in the past.   I have saved the link you provided under my favorites as any step in saving time and getting just what you need is worth noting.

This isn't my truck (mine is dark green), but it shows a thermostat housing with a bend in the tube. I think a housing like the one in the photo might be available in stamped steel like the one Merle posted a few comments back. 

I don't remember where I got this photo, but the restorer did a nice job I think.

1175325987_1951B3BYellow28copy.jpg.956fdbed79b97ef6333614b81de953d6.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

It I had that problem I think I would take the straight new one you have to my favorite muffler shop with the picture ( or measurements and angle need) of what was  supposed to be and have  them make what you needed-price should be reasonable. Done deal!  ? Could be either just the straight small part cut off and the angle part welded on or completely remove all the pipe down to the mounting flange and start over make the piece with the angle and weld it all together. Your choice?? Cost that way will probably higher but look original.

But that is just me.  ?

DJ

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found what I needed. DCM has thermostat housings with the bent tube, but they haven't yet listed it on the DCM website. According to DCM the housing is an exact copy of the original. It seems to me the angle of the tube should bend over a little bit more to put it perfectly in line with the radiator inlet, but if that's how they were made, then that's how they were made. The angle was sufficient to be able to install a straight solid hose without kinking the hose. 

20190323_205123_1553641025223_resized.jpg.2a912a568d189b3fae70d9cceb22aebf.jpg20190323_204713_1553641028433_resized.jpg.c846a636cbf8640a8716c45dd689cb55.jpg

• Like 3