Gremlins within

Don Jordan

I am reluctant to ask for help but I have exhausted all avenues of knowledge.

When the car runs it's a wonderful thing to hear.  I got it running, timed it.  The car fired right up; like it was brand new.  So I decided I'd go for a ride.  Got on the street, and it made it to the first stop sign and it died; would not start.  It's a story for another day but I got it in the  garage.  Ran every test I knew.  Finally I took the distributor off the 47 and put it in the 48.  It started right up.  This led me to believe it could be the distributor.  I sent the dist. off to be rebuilt.  In the mean time I checked the coil, ignition switch - everything I could think of.  Got the dist. back, put it in, the car fired right up.  Problem solved.  Got on the street and was motoring.  It gives me such a rush;  it's all worth it.  Driving down an old back road toward home and it just stopped running.  Still in gear not so much as a pop.  Back in the garage.

It will not start.  There is spark to number one.  The fuel pump (electric) is pumping. It's got to be a short somewhere - but where?  I've done all the obvious tricks.  This is way beyond my paygrade.   I want to sell the car but it's difficult when it won't start. 

I'm thinking  it might be the coil.  At this point I am truly lost.  I'm getting too old for this kind of grief.

I would appreciate  any thoughts or ideas anyone can furnish.

thanks

Hey Don,

Might be the coil or the condenser. When they get hot that's where the open comes in and shuts down the engine till they cool down. But if you have spark to no. 1 and it wont start, try a little gas down the carb. If you got spark and the fuel pump is pumping then I would look at the carb. Might have crusty stuff in there that is floating and it might be plugging up the jets or the needle valve is sticking closed. When the car stops for a while and settles the clog goes away just to come back when you start driving again. 

Joe Lee

Maybe the car senses you're going to sell her and is doing everything to remain in your family or,....is making you miserable to get even for you intended abandonment.

Finally, check the tank and filter for debris.  I had a similar issue and a piece of gunk would occasionally float over the gas pickup.  I've also had a defective electric fuel pump that made noise (seemed to run) but had no pressure, didn't pump any fuel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You have spark. How strong is it? Your fuel pump is running. Is it actually pumping though? As suggested above a little squirt of fuel down the carb and you should get some response.

Change one thing at a time and the problem should reveal itself.

Without knowing the condition of all the variables it does make it tough to diagnose but the people on here will do what they can and it cost you nothing more than the time to type your questions and read their responses.

I believe your fuel pump is #1 suspect. Many aftermarket electric pumps are junk! Electric pump could overheat and vapor lock.  I would dispense with it and revert to original mechanical pump.

Ignition components (coil, central wire, capacitor, dist. cap) are less likely. Intermittent trouble in these parts usually results in stumble, misfire, poor acceleration, etc., but not sharp engine cut-off that you describe.

15 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Is the gas tank filler cap vented? Try driving with he cap removed. But don't do like I did and stick a rag in the filler pipe.?

rag.jpg

That photo brought back memories. Used to see that back in ancient times when some would lose a cap and just put a wick,  I mean rag in the fill.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Don..........watched that & just about wet myself.............lol............prime candidates for Darwin Awards......lol..........andyd

9 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

A friend just sent me this link.

Great movie that one.

6 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Don..........watched that & just about wet myself.............lol............prime candidates for Darwin Awards......lol..........andyd

Andy, do you recognize the aussie actor on the left?

On 3/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, Andydodge said:

Maok.....nope............lol..........andyd

Ben Mendelsohn. He does a great character of an aussie meth head in this movie. I can't remember the name of the movie .

Edited by maok

Back to Don's problem,  condenser would be first place to look. You've already replaced dist. though. 

Pigtail wire in distributor grounding out?  Do you have a fuel  filter? Check for obstruction. Electric

fuel pump? is it in fact pumping enough fuel?  Defective coil will also fail you when it gets heated up. 

Don't be discouraged though.  Check one thing at a time. Be patient. After you find the problem you'll

always know the answer the next time it happens. Good luck. 

Does it die immediately? If so, probably an electrical issue to the ignition system. Ignition switch?

Edited by maok
  • Like 1

Any update on this problem? I am dead serious on the gas cap vent. If the cap is not vented the fuel pump will pull a vacuum on the gas tank and stop pumping after a few miles of driving and the engine will stop running. This is exactly the problem you described. As I said try driving with the cap removed and see if that fixes your problem. 

I agree in principal with Mr Coatney. Had it happen on an old car I bought years ago. But it could be ignition based too. Lets start a guess tally. Hope Don is correct 'cause that is an easy fix. But I gotta go with an ignition fault. Failing condenser...bad coil or perhaps a worn out or dirty ignition switch. Had that last one more than once since I was old enough to work on cars trucks and boats. Works after it has had a chance to cool down.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

okay this is my 3rd attempt at this:  I got a new computer and key board and it does things I'm not prepared for.  So let me try again: first I would like to thank all those who responded to my plea for help.  Bottom line: it  still doesn't run.  I  had the dist rebuilt.  new points, condenser, rotor, cap.  points set at .020  I bought a new coil.  squirted gas down the  carb - not so much as a sputter.

took off the gas cap - nothing.  checked the wires for a short - all new from Rhode Island.  put a 12v jump to turn the car over faster - nothing.  put a test light on #1 and while it seems weak there is a spark.  I tried turning the dist one way then the other same result.  I'm sure there is more I've done but it will not start.  I've run out of options.  when it  runs it's strong.  I may have to break down and take it to my local mechanic - if he'll even take it

Again my thanks to everyone for their input

Don, I am sorry  to read of your predicament, Were I closer, and I mean this sincerely, I would be over on short notice and in your garage to help you as best I can. Although you may not be able to analyze your immediate problem, sometimes all it takes is another pair or eyes to fix things...Don't be discouraged.?

Hey Don,

Sorry for your woes. Let's try to work this from the start. You had the distributor rebuilt changed the coil,  basically did a new tune up. Now not to call you names or insinuate your not all there, but did you time it from scratch after the distributor rebuild. Set no. 1 to TDC and check the distributor is at the 7 o-clock position? I won't tell you the number of times I put mine in backwards and how I felt when I realized what I had done. Your said when you swapped distributors it ran fine. You said your checked the wires for a short did you just meter check them or did you visually inspect them as well especially where the plug wires go thru the holder just above the distributor?  

I've re-read both your posts just now. Did you check you gas? Pull the fuel sender and look in the tank and check for water.

So try that and see if it works.

!. re time engine.

2. visually inspect wires. Especially where they contact metal or hot metal when the engine warms up.

3. Check the gas for water.

4. Check the fuel lines for leaks or sucking in air.

Joe Lee

Take your test light and ground it, put the probe end on the positive connection of the coil- -ign. on and crank over. This is all for a Positive ? ground system.

It should light up the light brightly as each plug should be firing as it its cranked over. Just a quick, easy test of points and coil, condenser also.

Now pull the wire off of the dist. to coil wire center one ( dist. cap end) and hold close to block as cranked over , ign. on and watch the spark color and how far the wire can be taken off the block and still spark. Should be bluish/orange  color and be able to move at least 3/16" off of the block. This is a coil wire condition and point/coil test.

Have you removed and checked out the a plug or two for condition?

You added gas -cranked over (bringing  air in)  and sparking in good condition ( after suggested tests) . if  after all this still no trying to start- Only leaves one thing- the timing of the spark  to piston/compression, IE timing.

You Can get this, best to ya,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Correct form neg. ground system to Pos. ground system

you are right Don.  I'm not sure how it could happen but tomorrow I'm doing a compression check.  It could be the valves.  But when it runs it is so strong.  At this point I  rule nothing out.

I'll keep you posted.

d-