Dual Master Cylinder

derbydad276

On my 1940 Plymouth wagon, I used ECI's front disk brake kit and their dual master. Fits with existing brake pedal setup. Very well made. Dual master for Chrysler products. Others have gone with Summit Racing's generic offerings with good results. 

I'm with Bob, I also used the ECI kit and was impressed with the quality and very pleased with the results.  The customer service was also excellent when I had a couple of questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I installed a new stock single reservoir master along with the front disc conversion and new shoes and wheel cylinders on the rear. I bled the system using two methods and ran a quart of brake fluid through it. I just didn't like the feel of the pedal. I initially installed new shoes and wheel cylinders on the front also, but didn't like the feel of it either. Hopefully, the Wilwood dual master will feel more trustworthy and solid. These old cars are heavy and I want to stop.

I'll be replacing the original brake lines also.

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis,

Does the mount that Scarebird makes for the wilwood master cylinder work on the 49 Ply?  I have the Scarebird disk brakes on order and 

can see that I’m going to need to use a dual master cylinder

I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet. I was looking at and measuring another old original 39 master cylinder that came with the car when I bought it. The Scarebird mount won't be a simple bolt-on process. I'll have to add some kind of spacer to make it line up with the brake pedal. However, I won't know how much modifying I'll have to do to it until I remove the floor board and have a good look. I don't know how much modifying it would take on a 49