Clutch Pedal and related components

40desoto

I took apart my clutch pedal assembly from my 1940 Desoto about 5 years ago and lost track of where everything goes.  I was assuming I would easily refer to the shop manual or any other diagram available online, but I havent been able to find one. 

More specifically Im looking for a diagram that shows the plate that I believe mounts on the bellhousing and acts as a two bolt mount for the clutch torque shaft pivot bracket.  I vagely remember that plate was thin and caught my attention that a mounting plate would be so thin.

Does anyone know what manual would provide an exploded view or is willing to share an diagram?

109AEEC9-1EAC-4FB8-84EE-A07BF82DD630.jpeg

Edited by 40desoto
Picture

Thank you Don. After posting my inquiry I didnt find thing diagram through one of your many posts of it. Thank you it has been very helpful. 

Where Im stumped is where this plate (spring 6-52-5) goes mounted on the bellhousing.  Im assuming the bracket 6-53-5 goes attached to it?

7B796D94-5481-4980-9661-9DDE5726C201.jpeg

Thank you Don!   This is very, very  helpful.

I knew that the silver plate  bolted on the side of the bellhousing but I noticed on mine, and on your as well, the matting area is not flush.   How did you get that silver plate to mount flushed?

image.png.c6f43fd27a26cc23bcee23fe6404c337.png

Edited by 40desoto
horrible grammar

I doubt it did sit flush per-say Should not make any difference since both ends of the shaft are on ball end type of a pivot.

Since the picture Don posted -listed that metal  plate as a spring it was most likely made of a spring steel metal that can flex as needed.. So no worries??

DJ

• Thanks 1

So my spring plate is not rectangular like the ones on all the diagrams I reviewed.  I was lucky to see markings and slight paint lines to detemine where they have been mounted before.

It also has a spacer plate that was on between the spring plate and the recessed area of the bell housing. Looks like the spacer was not factory and was used as a shim to allign?

93D1686A-673B-4FFB-950B-A07D1783AD32.jpeg

95DB0F3C-1E31-44C3-B203-411D50D5DC9A.jpeg

0F16D0E3-0E9D-47FA-859D-C6CE255586CB.jpeg

Edited by 40desoto
Drinking while typing

Im assuming that I have all the parts when I removed them all years ago and I never noticed a clutch spring return bracket.

I did have this large bracket that appears to mount around the area of the spring return bracket.  

If I recall correctly, this bracket also help the transmission OD cable as it ran from the dash to the transmission.

does anyone have a similar bracket that can assist me in confirming the mounting location?

41AF09FC-D3E7-43F4-8580-3D5584D745C0.jpeg

Thanks Don.  I think mine is different because my bellhousing has a bottom cover that bolts where the bracket on your picture is located.  Im guessing that the large bracket in the picture I posted mounts on that same hole but under the bellhousing cover.

Thanks for sharing your pictures over time.  Ive used them for my project, especially my T5 conversion.

Beautiful! your setup moves your shifter one inch forward compared to the rest that used the adapter.... and saved you about $400.

I'll save my T5 questions for another forum topic.

By the way, everytime I google to do research that damn baby blue motor keeps coming up... ?

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to share my update and maybe it will be a reference to someone in the future.  I came to the conclusion with what parts i had remaining that this is the proper assembly of the clutch fork return spring and bracket.

kinda neat that the spring bracket also holds the speedometer cable in places

B2C33385-126F-4B0C-B679-FACE331DCD0C.jpeg

16D81F0B-7E21-474B-A9B6-5423F5F17213.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...