My rear end.

Frank Elder

:eek:

What is the actual designation for my D-24 rear end ? I know it is a semi floating, hypoid rear end with 3.9 to 1 gears and tapered axles.......and it looks similar to a more modern 8 3/4 rear, but it is not an 8 3/4.

Do I have to pop one open [ I have an extra] and measure the ring gear to see what size it is?

I hope it's OK.

• Haha 1

I am not sure they make a 7 1/4 anymore now that most RWD cars have driven off into the sunset.  Sure a few are being revived now and the truck still continued a few models.  I am not certain the diff used in modern RWD but would figure a 8 1/4 derivative.   The 8 1/4 is an able street gear unless you are totally off the wall pro street....for the mild mannered or warmed over V8 they will handle their own.  the 8 3/4 of b-body and muscle car era fame be it in any of the three pinion sizes or taper/flanged axles are just too off the wall in cost these days.  Oh one can get lucky and find a good unit if he shakes the bushes.....but the average knowing Mopar owner will not let these go cheap....

Went out to the garage and perused my parts list book, looks to be 8.25 rear end.

Page 46

Part type code 3-19-5

GEAR, Axle drive---3.9 to 1 ratio

[standard with fluid drive]

39 teeth 4.782 I.D. x 8.250 0.D.

Formate type

club coupe

P.N. 953 591

Edited by Frank Elder

1 hour ago, Frank Elder said:

I don't need to purchase a rear end, I have 3 D-24 rears with 3.9s just curious to the actual size of it......will it be a 7 or 8 inch variant. Quite honestly I thought the man with the spotted dog might know......

I don't know a thing about 7-1/4,  8-1/4, 9 Ford's etc.  Done seals in them...Don't have a clue about interchange.

As for a 3.36, 3.54, 3.58, 3.73, 3.9, 4.1, 4.3, 4.89, 5.83-8.11 6.64-9.18 and 6.42-8.38...know plenty about those but not about ring gear size as to me it never been needed knowledge.

Never owned a more modern Mopar with a 8-3/4 rear end.

Everything I own in old Mopars is 1953 and older.?

13 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

8.38..........good woobly goobly:eek:

8.38 is the high range gear of a Eaton 1350 2 speed rear axle...optional on 1-1/2 to 2 ton trucks?