1947 Vin Number location.

Robertcat

4 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

40desoto-

Before i would open a can of worms with the Ca. DMV  about this issue I would pay the have A Ca. bonded, licensed DMV independent licenser  help walk you through this as to the best way to get you and Ca. Dmv happy, their # one goal of the Dmv here is your Money!

I will attach just one of many available.

They can come to you or you go to them (cheaper). They can and will help with this issue and can keep that can of worms Closed!

A web search should help locate someone close to you- I hope!

http://vehicleregistrationexperts.com/

Just a suggestion. Friends have used this type of service and been quite pleased.

DJ

Thank You DJ.  I will definitely consider your recommended route.

the car is not driveable yet and have been inquiring so I can be ready when the car is ready to drive.

keep in mind the car is already registered under my name but I’d rather have the VIN number on the car in the case that I even need to sell it.

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I think he was responding to a similar question from someone other than the original poster, who is in PA.

But if I were to have a vehicle registered to an engine number that is no longer with the car, I would work to get it switched to the Serial Number, which I think was arguably the intention of the manufacturer, and it is also most like the VIN which is in use now (both being a tag mounted on the body itself). (Oddly, however, the VIN tag on my 1993 Chrysler T & C was actually mounted on the dash, not the cowl, as one would expect.)

Ah, yes. 

He seems to be replying to 40desoto.

I missed that little tidbit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Apologies to DJ.

I've seen so many of these kind of posts both here and on other sites and I'm always amazed at all the suggestions that come from dang near every state in the Union (and some foreign countries too) when the only thing that matters is how it's done in the state the OP is in.

I guess my problem is that I have too much time on my hands.

I'm gonna go check my VIN number now.

Edited by BigDaddyO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 1947 Desoto was first sold in California, then went to Oregon, then to Idaho, and then back to me in California. The body number on the drivers door pillar was used as the vehicle number on all of the titles. Not the engine number.

Now my 1949 Desoto which was first sold in Norfolk VA and then came to California had the engine number on the VA and the CA paperwork.

I called the CA DMV Special Processing Unit in Sacramento and asked them if I could switch the vehicle number over to the Body Pillar Number as would have been used had the car first be sold in California. I explained to them that many of the MOPAR flatheads had the engine number on the top of the engine and that when the engine is rebuilt, that number is machined away. So the body number makes more sense.

They said sure, just fill out the statement of fact form and have a CA Highway Patrol VIN officer come by to verify the number in person and sign the form.

I did that and now the 1949 Desoto has VIN on the paperwork that matches the door pillar.  When I had the engine out for rebuild, I also stamped it with the correct factory number on the Chrysler Build Sheet and the original paperwork for the engine.  The engine had in fact been replaced.

I have never had the frame off of the 1947.  I did do a frame off on the 1949. The number was NOT on the wheel well arch as I would have thought.  It was on the top middle of the drivers side frame rail. The Convertibles and the Station Wagons in 1949 do not have any rubber between the body and the frame. There is no way to see it without taking off the body.  They bolted it solid.  Interesting fact, you cannot pull the engine and the transmission as a unit on the 1949 Convertible and presumable the Wagon.  That extra 1/4 inch of missing clearance to the bodies being bolted hard to the frame means that the bottom lip of the M6 will not allow the trans to slip in from the front.  We found out the hard way.

James

• Like 1

Boy, that must of have years ago unless you are/were  good friends with at least someone in the Ca. CHP ( highway patrol) !!!

7 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

and have a CA Highway Patrol VIN officer come by to verify the number in person and sign the form. 

Last time I checked -you ( about 10+ years ago) people had to make an apportionment through local CHP office and either drive to where they said at the right time or trailer it there.

NO house calls!!  ?

At least you got it done!!  ?

DJ

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, DJ194950 said:

Boy, that must of have years ago unless you are/were  good friends with at least someone in the Ca. CHP ( highway patrol) !!!

Last time I checked -you ( about 10+ years ago) people had to make an apportionment through local CHP office and either drive to where they said at the right time or trailer it there.

NO house calls!!  ?

At least you got it done!!  ?

DJ

He bitched a bit, but came by. There parking lot here in SF is tiny and I have the body off the frame.

The actual form from DMV says a "sworn peace officer" however, the DVM wants just a CHP today. In past years City Cops or Deputy Sheriff's would work.

James

• Like 1

Not many out there are from or deal with the Province of Manitoba, but their registration cards recorded the serial number of the car.  I have the registration cards for my father's cars for the early 1940's.   His first car was a 1931 Graham Special Six 4dr Sedan, registered in 1940, which he traded for a 1936 Graham Supercharger the next year.  

Chrysler Corporation had the Serial Number tag on the passenger side door hinge post from 1931 (after the FEDCO system was dropped) through to sometime in 1946.   The tag was then moved to the driver's door hinge post.   Thus there are 1946 models out there with the Serial Number tag on passenger or on the driver door post.  But not both.

Vehicle Identification Numbers started appearing, as we know it, in the late 1950's.  Chrysler's VIN for 1959 had -

M - model year,

C - car line,

1 - series,

B assembly plant 

followed by the six digit sequential production number (10 digits total). 

The model year moved to the third spot on the VIN for 1960.  

For 1966 the prefix included

B - car line,

1 - series,

23 - body style,

5 - engine,

6 - model year

3 - assembly plant, 

followed by the six digit sequential production number (13 digits total).  1966 was the year GM, Ford and AMC all adopted a 13 digit VIN - prefix orders were all different.   

In 1968 the VIN had to be attached to the interior driver's side of the instrument panel or the A pillar (imports such as Datsun and Renault).  The purpose was to able to see the VIN from outside of the car without opening any doors or the hood.  

The 17 digit VIN was adopted for 1981, and is still in use today.  Starting during 1968, the VIN is stamped in various places on the car, as well as the engine and transmission.  

Chrysler of Canada adopted an 11 digit VIN for 1965, only -

1 - Car Line  (V - Valiant 100 / Barracuda;  L - Valiant 200 / Signet;  P - Fury;  D - Polara;  C - Chrysler

2 - Series  (1 - Low 6  /  2 - Medium 6  /  3 - High 6  /  4 - Premium 6  /  /  6 - Low V8  /  7 - Medium V8  /  8 - High V8  /  9 - Premium V8)

3 - Body Style  (A - 2 door sedan  /  B - 2 door hardtop  /  C - 4oor sedan  /  D - 4 door hardtop  /  E  -  Convertible  /  F - 2 seat Wagon  /  G - 3 seat Wagon)  /  S  -  Special .  

4 - Model Year - 5 - 1965

5 - Assembly Plant - 9 - Windsor, ON

• Like 1