6v heater fan wiring polarity confusion

Howdy fellas

I’m stuck on a wierd part of my build. I decided to beat my 6v heater motor to death with 12v before I convert it so I disassembled the box, stripped the rotten cloth off the wires, soldered on new leads, and re-insulated.

Before installing the motor I held the wires to the terminals on a small 12v battery so I would know how to wire it. I want it to blow not suck!

When I connected it the fan spun clockwise and air blew out the defroster output. Great right? The confusing thing is that when I reversed the polarity the fan still spun clockwise and blew the same!?

I never dealt with an electric motor that did that. What gives? Is there a right and wrong way? I didn’t mark the wires since there are only two and I planned to test it to make sure it wasn’t grounded out inside the case. 

Thanks!

scratchin my head,

Radar

I believe this may explain it is series wound motor just as stater motor is and will spin in one direction even after reversing the polarity.

Here is a detailed explanation of the reason a Series Wound starter motor still rotates the same way regardless of battery polarity. When Battery Polarity isreversed both Field and Armature currents are reversed [Because it is Series wound]-rotation direction remains the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense. I was worried that it would be possible to hook it up wrong and shorten its life but since it’s already 455 dog years old and I’m hooking it up to double power I guess it’ll be fine or it’ll die and I’ll have to make a 12v unit fit. 

Thanks

It will be fine, will spin faster.

• Like 1

• If you get a rotating variable resistor switch you should be able to control the speed of the fan.