The ole' 218 got a make-over...

Cold Blue

I got this car about 8 months ago, and she's a work in progress. I just finished spiffying up the 218 and I must say I am pleased with the results! I have posted "Before and After" photos for your viewing pleasure... I installed a proper carb linkage while I was at it; the old one was a jack-legged affair for sure. Gonna change one thing - the metal bracket that holds the gas feed return spring is black - I am gonna paint it aluminum like the head. I wish I had a media blaster - I can't get carb bodies to clean up worth a crap just by scrubbing.

DSC01764 (1).jpg

DSC01833.jpg

• Like 1

good job, looks great. ?

I just picked up a little abrasive blaster from tractor supply, $12.99 Put some baking soda in it to play with and works great. For small jobs, carbs would be perfect.

The instruction claim that it is not made for sand, I tried some anyways and would not pick it up.

I had a box of baking soda so I opened it up and tried it, works great.

Not sure what other abrasives will work in it. Just picked it up yesterday.

image.png.51c5b3f794c3b0b31f1122df25f14211.png

Has different tips and comes with the pattern deelio .... for etching metal or glass.

For $13 worth having it around, I know harbor freight would have something similar.

• Like 1

I find that general purpose lacquer thinner or Acrylic lacquer thinner in good to clean carbys withpour some in a dish then use a stiff brush with it on the carby, it evaporates quickly also............andyd 

• Like 1

Thanks Andy - I will give the lacquer thinner a try.

Ajgkirkwood - here are some pics of the carb linkage. I bought a Redline Dual Carb 40/42/45 DCOE Cross Bar Universal Linkage # 99006.105, off Ebay, and it worked great. The kit has almost everything you need, except 2 small screws with nyloc nuts, to attach the heim joint rods to the carbys, and you have to fab some metal brackets for mounting points for the vertical heim joints that support the horizontal rod. You will have to get a rod that goes from the original throttle assembly to the carb linkage assembly. (the aluminum rod in the pic) Hope this helps. Blue.

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01836.jpg