pertronix for Dodge

Phil Martin

I'm really wanting to go electronic ignition. Has anybody used pertronix on 1951  Dodge 230 flathead? If so what did you use? I'm thinking Pertronix 1362 but I saw 1 guy say it wouldn't work on Dodge. Pertronix website says for chrysler 6 cyl. Anybody have an opinion?

yes, contact Pertronix directly, from all I have read and seemingly most all that have had issue is when they mix and match components on install and use the wrong ignition wires.  I assure you these guys know their product and are the BEST to answer any question you may have.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

If you have the gyromatic trans I wouldn’t recommend Pertronix. The distributor is momentarily grounded to allow the upshift. This will burn up the module prematurely. I tried this on my 52 Coronet and it worked for about 5 minutes and died. I’ll stick with points. There is a way to make it work with a resistor but you’ll need to search this forum. Good luck.

I've had the Pertronix kit in my 51 Meadowbrook (230) for almost 2 years now and close to 10,000 miles. Not one single problem. car even started up and ran perfectly when it was minus 33 degrees Fahrenheit.  I know I have the box somewhere in my garage but I am not home right now. best thing for you to do is to call them and make sure you get the right kit if that's the way you want to go.  

I have the Pertronix ignition with the semi-automatic transmission.  Yes, the distributor is momentarily grounded on the upshift, but Pertronix recommended a resistor for that circuit.  I've had the Pertronix ignintion for four years now, no problem.  Again, contact Pertronix for recommendatins, and tell them if it's for a semi-automatic transmission. 

8 minutes ago, Phil Martin said:

They told me about resistor. All I have to do now is figure out where to get it.

It would have been my thought that if PERTRONIX suggested a resistor, then they would have said component for the install to completely round out their ignition package.   To suggest the use of a resistor and not in any manner define placement in circuit, value in terms of impedance and wattage, then they are leaving themselves wide open for a multitude of failure to warrant.

• Like 1

I have heard both good and bad about pertonix.

I plan to stay 6 volt, as original as possible. If I feel the need to update my dizzy, and is very likely I will.

I would go 12 volt and then do the 225 slant 6 distributor conversion.

To me using OEM parts you can buy off the shelf just makes sense.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Phil Martin said:

Pertronix told me what resistor to use and sent me a diagram where to wire it in. I just need to find one if I want to go this route.

perhaps you could post that information in the technical section for others to benefit from.....grounding inputs to electronics is rarely damaging with todays components...

I suggest you do a web search using the term -resistor and the value recommended- will most likely give you pages of places to purchase online with prices all over the board.

Most are so cheap you will surprised.

I bought some fairly large ones for $3 each shipped. You probably need something small and cheap!

I recommend  using Pertronix stuff. Just follow all their directions even the proper coil for what you buy and the # of cylinders of the motor( changes their recommended coil) .  If questions, call as needed. No problems myself with 4 of their point changeovers!

DJ