3 Piece Hood

Just wondering whats all involved in taking off one of the 3 piece hoods? 56 Fargo. I think but can't remember someone saying if you do it on your own you will bend it in the middle. Is this true? Do I need like 2 or 3 people? How heavy is it?

DSCF0030.JPG

I took mine off by myself a few years ago. I haven't put it back on again, so the details are a little foggy. I think it was just a few bolts in the front and back. It wasn't that heave--just a little awkward. Two people would be the easiest to avoid any damage to the paint.

It's two bolts in the front and two in the back. I use a strip of blue masking tape on the inside edge of the hoods where they touch the center section when folded up. I have removed and installed by myself a handful of times.

2 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

It's two bolts in the front and two in the back. I use a strip of blue masking tape on the inside edge of the hoods where they touch the center section when folded up. I have removed and installed by myself a handful of times.

So basically do it folded up. I wasn't sure if it would bend or not but I guess where they fold it gives it some stability. 

Edited by bambamshere

Take a good look at the center section near the front of the wing pivots.  They can tend to crack at that point and once the bolts have been removed, there is little to stabilize the dimension between the front panel and the cowl.  You'll want to store those pieces in a manner that doesn't stress   the center section.

2 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

Take a good look at the center section near the front of the wing pivots.  They can tend to crack at that point and once the bolts have been removed, there is little to stabilize the dimension between the front panel and the cowl.  You'll want to store those pieces in a manner that doesn't stress   the center section.

So when I take it off and put it on the floor of the garage on 2 2x4s put a board or 2 under the middle of it.

5 hours ago, bambamshere said:

So when I take it off and put it on the floor of the garage on 2 2x4s put a board or 2 under the middle of it.

Yes make a little stand for it.  or a coupla chunks of 8x8 might suffice

Mines a 49 dodge but looks similar. have done it solo. Like bisquick said I ran tape along hinge where painted surface might hit painted surface when open. I opened both sides and tied the two latch handles together so the whole enchilada moved as one. Two bolts front 2 aft  slid it off. Then I put it flat on a piece of plywood and until it to let it lay flat. When my son helped it was a breeze, suggest you get a helper. It’s not heavy at all just a bit awkward. God luck!

I took mine off by myself, awkward but doable.

Would concern me depending on condition of paint. My paint was non existent and nothing to hurt.

When I put it back on will be fresh paint, and do not want to attempt it alone.

As others suggested, proper paint protection and should be fine.

BAMBAMSHERE, If you ever see or hear of a Big Fargo or USA Dodge Truck (4.5 ton/Long Nose) or just an engine (413.16 cid, Twin carb Flathead 6 cyl) Please let me know. Charlie Stephenson

3 minutes ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

BAMBAMSHERE, If you ever see or hear of a Big Fargo or USA Dodge Truck (4.5 ton/Long Nose) or just an engine (413.16 cid, Twin carb Flathead 6 cyl) Please let me know. Charlie Stephenson

Ok will do

3 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Thanks guys I guess use some sort of autobody tape. Doesn't masking tape leave sticky stuff behind.

What I know about tape is little, Yes masing tape can be a pain and leave glue behind.

Blue tape, coming from a carpenters perspective ...  It does not leave glue, but when using to mask for paint, it can leak and frustrate you.

They have yellow and or green tape, and that will seal the paint better, it also cost more then the blue....

I have blue tape around for all-purpose stoofs. If I am going to use it to mask paint, will spend more for better tape.

Plain masking tape I have no use for.

In your case, I would think a combo of blue tape and plastic or heavy brown paper to protect the painted areas?

Others may have better suggestions.

I mean like tape and scrap pieces of carpet?

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

What I know about tape is little, Yes masing tape can be a pain and leave glue behind.

Blue tape, coming from a carpenters perspective ...  It does not leave glue, but when using to mask for paint, it can leak and frustrate you.

They have yellow and or green tape, and that will seal the paint better, it also cost more then the blue....

I have blue tape around for all-purpose stoofs. If I am going to use it to mask paint, will spend more for better tape.

Plain masking tape I have no use for.

In your case, I would think a combo of blue tape and plastic or heavy brown paper to protect the painted areas?

Others may have better suggestions.

I mean like tape and scrap pieces of carpet?

Thank You