Source for Kingpins?

Bob Riding

I was so excited to be getting my front end started- I removed all the A-arms, tie rods, springs etc, and took the kingpin assemblies down to my cousin's shop for rebuilding. One looked fine- the other he said was junk because the top arm hole was egg shaped. He wondered if someone could weld and drill it out.I called around to local machine shops with no luck. I began looking for used kingpins online (you'd think with all the Mustang ll front ends out there, there would be a bunch available), but so far, nothing has come up. I've got my buddy at Turner's Auto Wrecking looking too. Anyone know where I could get a good, rebuildable kingpin in this day and age?

IMG_6667.JPG

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you are saying king pin...but are you looking for the strut or the steering knuckle?

It's the assembly that holds the kingpin.It is attached to the spindle with the kingpin. 

IMG_6666.JPG

Bob, that piece is also known as the spindle, also thats the lower outer arm hole...........andyd

• 2 weeks later...

According to my MS Access MOPAR database...

Part Number                              Application                                                                                                                                  Description
1322165                                   Plymouth and Dodge 51-54 Except Wagon, 55-56; Desoto, Chrysler 51-55                        STRNG KNKL SUPPORT

Edited by James_Douglas

You might try the salvage yard that Young Ed has mentioned from time to time. I seem to recall that they had a bunch of old Mopar parts cars there. It couldn't hurt to contact them if you are still looking. Good luck.

John R

http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

Thanks everyone- Once Plymouthy set me straight on the correct name - steering knuckle- NOS examples popped up everywhere on eBay. I was able to find a set for less than $100. Reminds me of a T-shirt my english teacher-wife had: 

“Lets eat grandma!” 

“Lets eat, grandma!”

Punctuation matters!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, James_Douglas said:

According to my MS Access MOPAR database...

Part Number                              Application                                                                                                                                  Description
1322165                                   Plymouth and Dodge 51-54 Except Wagon, 55-56; Desoto, Chrysler 51-55                        STRNG KNKL SUPPORT

Hi James. I installed that number part and I believe it's too short as the camber is way off. The length of Your database says "except wagons" Mine is a '52 suburban. I found a spindle in my pile of parts that is 1539234, and is 5/8" longer, which I think would take care of the camber problem, however the Mopar interchange manual indicates "54 Imperial, Desoto and Chrysler cars, but not Plymouth or Dodge or Desoto station wagons. What does your database say for 1539234?

IMG_7196.JPG

Deleted !?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

BTW..the reason your original spindle was hogged out by the lower outer bush is that it was probably not screwed in tight enough and as the bush has serrations on its outside if it is allowed to move it becomes a glorified file and the egg shaped hole is the result............make sure to tighten the bush correctly and even use some locktite or similar........aren't wagon suspension parts for Dodge & Plymouth based on the larger DeSoto/Chrysler models?...........as we didn't get wagons in Oz I'm only going on what descriptions I've seen over the years on US ebay............andyd    

Thanks . I will try French lake, but I'm not sure which part number is correct.In my second picture above, the bearing is above where the kingpin goes through, whereas in the parts manual, it shows it below. Maybe the extra width of the bearing above was enough to bring the camber into a more vertical (normal) position even though 1322165 was possibly the wrong part installed on the wagon when I got it?

The bearing is always at the lower end. The picture above shows the knuckle support up side down. 

1951-52 for models P22 and P23, knuckle support group item 2-03-23 carries part number 1322 165....2 per car....per my parts catalog...

I think the knuckle support is correct but cannot vouch for the upper eccentric bushing for proper setting of the camber...and is the cherry picker got the weight off the suspension...the full weight of the body/chassis must be allow to squish the suspension....you upper arm assembly is awful low showing no weight applied

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

1951-52 for models P22 and P23, knuckle support group item 2-03-23 carries part number 1322 165....2 per car....per my parts catalog...

I think the knuckle support is correct but cannot vouch for the upper eccentric bushing for proper setting of the camber...and is the cherry picker got the weight off the suspension...the full weight of the body/chassis must be allow to squish the suspension....you upper arm assembly is awful low showing no weight applied

James Douglas's database says the same 1322165 "except wagons" That's what's so puzzling- the motor is in the chassis and I rolled it back and forth to make sure everything would settle. Now the chassis is sans doors, front clip, glass, seats, tail and lift gate, etc. and the camber is at about 78 degrees. I wonder if all the added weight would correct the problem? Any other "51-'54 wagon owners know what part number their spindles are?

The wagon part# issue issue does not apply to the Plymouth wagons...only applies to the Dodge (some) and all DeSoto/Chrysler cars. Those wagons use larger heavier duty suspension parts. Plymouth.... the economy line didn't go so far.

The 1322165 support  ...2 used per car  shown in the parts books does not have a lower shock stud installed when sold as a new MoPar replacement part. That's why it's listed as 2 per car. Once a shock bolt or swedged shock stud is installed in the support then the support is either a right or a left.

If you find a 1951-54  1322165 support with the removable  bolt in shock stud there is no right or left as the shock stud can be inserted either way.

If you find a replacement used support with the swedged in lower shock stud be sure to get the correct side needed.

Shown are two NOS 1322165 supports with out the replacement shock studs or bolts. Finding the correct shock bolt or stud could be hard.

1322165 Supports.jpg

On 3/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, Bob Riding said:

Thanks everyone- Once Plymouthy set me straight on the correct name - steering knuckle- NOS examples popped up everywhere on eBay. I was able to find a set for less than $100. Reminds me of a T-shirt my english teacher-wife had: 

“Lets eat grandma!” 

“Lets eat, grandma!”

Punctuation matters!

HA!   I always referred to them as Uprights.

Many buy dropped uprights from FatMan Industries and get rid of the stock ones.  I have a pair off of my 40 Desoto but dont believe they are the same dimensions.

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The wagon part# issue issue does not apply to the Plymouth wagons...only applies to the Dodge (some) and all DeSoto/Chrysler cars. Those wagons use larger heavier duty suspension parts. Plymouth.... the economy line didn't go so far.

The 1322165 support  ...2 used per car  shown in the parts books does not have a lower shock stud installed when sold as a new MoPar replacement part. That's why it's listed as 2 per car. Once a shock bolt or swedged shock stud is installed in the support then the support is either a right or a left.

If you find a 1951-54  1322165 support with the removable  bolt in shock stud there is no right or left as the shock stud can be inserted either way.

If you find a replacement used support with the swedged in lower shock stud be sure to get the correct side needed.

Shown are two NOS 1322165 supports with out the replacement shock studs or bolts. Finding the correct shock bolt or stud could be hard.

1322165 Supports.jpg

Mystery solved! I think...what could cause the extreme camber- still not enough weight? 

IMG_7197.JPG

A MoPar suspension some what loaded.....Upper A-Arm Level... Camber kinda close

C52 Loaded A-Arms (2).JPG