Windhield Washer Option

51_Meadowbrook

Were windshield washers available in 1951 for Dodge? My Meadowbrook has a windshield wiper switch that pushes in and I am curious if it was a vacuum or electric button to operate washers in cars equipped with them. 

Edited by 51_Meadowbrook
Spelling correction

It was a vacuum MoPar Jiffy Jet set up.

Paul... you are right... foot pump operated not vacuum!

• Thanks 1

I have no foot pump but the wiper switch button pushes in and springs back out. I’ve never operated a vacuum washer, does it spray as long as you hold the button in or is it more of a pump-to-squirt sort of thing?

Two of my 1950 cars have original vacuum washer systems that now I need to check out... neither work?

3 hours ago, thisoldtruck said:

On my truck, I have the rubber foot pump.  Next to the head light dimmer foot switch.

There was one of those on my first car, '62 Chrysler Newport.  I had saved it, but when I found it last Summer, the rubber 'bulb' was all cracked up.  I'm not sure I even kept it - should have, though.....  (Story of my life.  Any time I throw something away, then later I want it.)  I wonder how long those manual windshield washers were used.

Here's a picture of the Jiffy Jet windshield washer system used in the late 40s.  Not sure how long they used it.    Was operated by the foot pumped bulb to supply

pressure.   Those kits are still found and offered for sale occasionally.  This picture is in the 46-48 Plymouth parts manual.  Have seen the system on a 46-48

Chrysler locally.

100_1057.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

There was one of those on my first car, '62 Chrysler Newport.  I had saved it, but when I found it last Summer, the rubber 'bulb' was all cracked up.  I'm not sure I even kept it - should have, though.....  (Story of my life.  Any time I throw something away, then later I want it.)  I wonder how long those manual windshield washers were used.

I'm gonna guess that the trucks probably stopped using it by 1972 model year.  I know my 1971 W200 had it, but my 1975 W100 had electric washer.  The cars always seemed to get the high tech gadgets first at Chrysler it seems during these years.  I think all the cars were electric by 1967 though.  I had a 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 two door hardtop that had electric washer. 

The washer bag used in my 1966 WM300 is still manufactured today!  They are used in the Abrams tanks.  But they don't say Mopar on them or Jiffy Jet either like the originals.