T5 to flathead adaptor.... AGAIN :)

aussie56

I know this has been brought up numerous occasions that I can find on this forum but I am hoping someone can tell me if there is a web page with a company that sell's this adaptor kit. As I am over the other side of the world from where the kits would be made it is a lot easy to get all the info I need from the web and then deal with the company or person.

I know Wilcap make adaptors but that is only for TH350 or GM manual box.

The Quality Engineered Components again whilst great info, its not T5.

Trying to work out which route will be best for me as there are so many opinions that I and struggling to choose one.

Thanks

Adam

The problem is that the only readily available 5 speed in Oz that has a commercially available adaptor is the Borg Warner T5 and I went thru all this when I was checking out what setup to do when I had the 41 Plymouth about 10yrs ago.........the Dakota stuff as far as I know has not been sold in Oz...........however the problem we have is that whilst the T5 is very common and was used in both Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores since the 1980's thru to the late 1900's , most ( well 99%, as a small number used the GM pattern box but were behind the Commodore SS in one or two models)  T5's used by both Ford and Holden had the Ford gearbox pattern and ALL had the rear mounted shifter..........NO Oz T5 came with the forward mounted shifter like what was used in the US Chev S10 pickup........There is a company in Oz, Mal Wood Automotive who maybe able to source the rear shifter parts, they advertise in Australian Street Rodding.............I was going to get an adaptor from a guy in the US, Paul Curtis, dunno if he still does them.......I imported an S10 T5 and could have raffled it off a few times but sold it with the Plymouth........dunno if this helps.............give me a call if you want.........02 66 425963.......Andy Douglas  

• Like 1

Thanks Andy really appreciate your input, I think I will look at either a Muncie or Saginaw box as I know you can at least get them here and Wilcap make the adapter. 

Only down fall fall with that is only 4 speed rather than 5 or overdrive. 

type   t5 to mopar flathead adapter  into your search engine, many returns and many companies offering the kit to install.  Suggest contacting them direct via e-mail for the straight skinny on any particular retailer as that would be the best source as to what work/machining may or may not be involved.   This way you should know up from what to expect and what the actual cost will be.  As for sourcing the T5 down under...cannot help there.  the T5 however to use with the flathead I still recommend the wide ratio as you get better gearing in first and second for the torque and HP available in the flathead..   The A833 is an alternative but be careful and examine the case for wear and do not let folks tell you the register hole is not a concern...the cases were bored aluminum and no bush...these will/can often have lots of slop.  They can be re-bushed but at a goodly cost including shipping both ways for you.   A stock 4 speed is just an extra gear to shift...1.1 is final....

Contact paul curtis

pjplymouth@netscape.net

I just bought a t5 adaptor ger my flathead from him at a good price compared to others. My clutch was the 10" so he had to order in a 10" clutch to modify. Only thing is you need to know what t5 it came from. Either ford or chevy because of the bolt pattern and spline tooth count.

http://www.mcmoff.com/russplymouthnardi/t51935.html

If what you want is simply a 5th gear then look at  Robert Horne's swap. Perhaps there is a similar gearbox in your boneyard that could be used in similar fashion and not involve alot of shipping costs.

What about a celica/supra 5 speed box? Not sure if the gear stick will stick out the the correct location in the floor, should readily available here in OZ.

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that was mentioned above by Frank.....the AX15

Doh!!!

I wasn't aware that it is Toyota gearbox.

Unless I'm mistaken the S10 T5 is the only late model 5 speed , overdrive gearbox that has the forward mounted shifter which if you want to retain the bench seat is something that has to be taken into account and that irrespective of whether its a GM, Frod or mopar box is the main reason it gained popularity in swaps into early cars......it was the reason I imported mine from Fresnoeven tho I could have got an Oz rear shifted T5 for a quarter of the price...........the Toyota boxes are very good but the shifter is in the wrong spot for a bench seat car...........back in the 1970's..yep, that far back I helped my brother install an Alfa Romeo 5 speed behind an Oz Holden six, sort of like a 7/8th size 250 Chev six, it was one of the 1st adaption sets that Dellow Automotive released and am familiar with what can be done, this was in a customised 1951 Chev, see pic taken in 1981 with my Dodge..................I bought the car 5 yrs later and used it as our family sedan, complete with 3 childs seats in the back for about 10 yrs till the early 2000's, as it had a pair of bucket seats the rear shifted Alfa gearbox was a gem............nothing like rowing a 5 speed behind a hopped up six cylinder.........lol...............andyd   

Bruces51ChevPic1.jpg

7 hours ago, maok said:

Doh!!!

I wasn't aware that it is Toyota gearbox.

I didn't know either, but I do know that the A833 mopar transmission was reconfigured and sold in certain chevy applications throughout the years.......so would Holden use any chevy A833s ?

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, wayfarer said:

If what you want is simply a 5th gear then look at  Robert Horne's swap. Perhaps there is a similar gearbox in your boneyard that could be used in similar fashion and not involve alot of shipping costs.

My TKO 5 speed is still working very good.     I see many people are concerned about the shifter being in the rear section of the trans.     I little modification of the shifter makes for a good fit with my bench seat...

5 speed shift.jpg

5speed007.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Frank Elder said:

Throw the t-5 away and get an Ax-15 dodge dakota 5 speed......lol...I shouldn't be trying to spend your money for you. Good luck in your quest.

Have you installed one of those behind a flathead? What’s the process? Adapter? Bolt in?

Edited by belvedere666
Skipped a word.