severe storms in AL/GA

Plymouthy Adams

11 hours ago, Todd B said:

What was the cause of bad storms 100 years ago????????

Exactly! Unfortunately these severe storms have been popping up every March, for thousands of years. Its just that no one was around to record it on Facebook, or cable news. ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My condolences to all in Alabama.

This old rock has heated and cooled so many times in its history.  The last ice age was not that long ago (Little Ice Age - 1300 - 1870).

For you history buffs, look up the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.  It took an estimated 6,000 to 12,000 lives in September 1900 and is considered the deadliest hurricane in U.S. history.  It was reported that calls for help could be heard buried under sand and rubble, but no one could get to those people.

Or there was the Indianola Hurricane (TX) in 1886.  It is the sixth strongest hurricane known to have hit the United States, and by winds, it is tied for the fifth most powerful hurricane to hit the U.S. mainland.   It completely removed one of Texas's busiest seaports from the map - it was never rebuilt.  Only a few pilings remain today.

We still have severe storms about every place on earth has had their share.......better means to alert the people one is coming their way is what is the saving grace for fewer lives lost....high loss of lives is totally proportional to the LACK of an emergency alert system..our local alarm went off twice that evening....I am so close to the sirens that I have to cover my ears...

Just hope everyone hears And pays attention to the alarms, And also have built a safe room big enough for all family members to gather. Supplies in the safe spot never hurt either.

Please be safe to all of you!

Certainly took too many chances living in mobile homes not properly secured during my time in the 70's in S.C.. No safe spot either!  ?

DJ